Your thoughts on a Springfield 1863

• Good

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
C

Cisco_Kid

I would appreciate any info on a Springfield 1863 muzzle loader. It has been passed down from my wife's grandfather to her dad to her. I have not been able to find a local museum that would be interested in displaying it. I thought it would be nice to share this with Civil war enthusiasts, but can not find a good way to do this. So I maybe interested in selling it in the near future and would appreciate some of your thoughts on where, how, and value of.
I don't see anyway here to post any pictures?

Hey Cisco Kid! There are a lot of smart people who will be able to help you, but they will want to see some pictures. There is an "upload a file" button under the area you post. Select your photos, and then when it asks you, select the full sized photos. Welcome to the forum!

We would need to see some photos of the musket. Since the gun was manufactured in 1863 there is a possibility that it could be a M1861 or a M1863. As always, condition is everything; but the M1861 is generally more collectible than the '63. Just ball parking it here, but if the gun is still in original military configuration and not absolutely trashed, I would put a minimum value of $600 on it.

Looking forward to those pics,
Garrett

Give it a lot of thought, before you sell it. Manny of us would love to have something beside copies of records about our ancestors. If you or your wife's family don't want it is there any cousins that would want it. Is it possible trace if any kin might have carried it during the civil war? If so his discharge would tell you if he bought it when he was discharged.

Back