Real or Faux? Springfield 1863 - real or reproduction?

kirilbird34

Cadet
Hello everyone. I’m told that this gun was dug up on my great grandparent’s property in the 50s outside of Philadelphia. It’s not in good shape, so I’m finding it difficult to figure out if it is an antique or a reproduction.

It’s very rusted and I can’t pull back the flintlock. It also has a serial code stamped on the metal part (18046) I’m not familiar with musket terminology so apologies. The initials W and a backwards S are stamped on the butt. However my great grandfather’s initials were WZ so it’s possible he did it himself.

Any help would be appreciated!

88CAC43D-9C97-4165-B1AA-EB91398850B0.jpeg

53706461-9368-4157-9904-A26E06EA2731.jpeg
6C636535-8B2E-456B-A401-A6EEC25EB44E.jpeg

Its real. This gun is what is called a Trapdoor. Many 1863 Springfield's were converted to the breech loading "Trapdoor" in 1873 using CW muskets.

Use the search tab and enter “trapdoor”. You’ll find a lot of posts about trapdoor conversions that were done and will learn a lot.

The gun definitely wasn’t dug up and was more likely stored somewhere. Had it been dug up, it would be a rusty hunk of metal and rotted or non-existent wood.

Once you get a little more familiar with the gun, you might consider taking of the lock plate and barrel and seeing if you can find other serial numbers, initials or stamps. Each marking adds more to the story you’ll learn about your rifle.

I agree with TW. It is a Model 1868 Springfield. These were produced from left surplus Springfields. Although the rifle has light pitting it is not in that bad a condition. I would take the lock out and give it some oil and let it set. My guess is that it would function. This may be an illusion that is in the one photo, but is that firing pin protruding from the breech block. If so it may be loaded so I would sure check by lifting the breech lever and look. You can never be to safe.

A bit of an update: My relative who knows guns looked at it and confirmed that its not loaded. The hammer was in a safety position that locked the trigger and I wasn’t pulling hard enough. He showed me inside the breech and pulled the trigger to make the hammer snap back which is cool to see.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I realize now its in good shape! I don’t think I’d ever want to try firing it since it has a crack in the wood down the part where the ramrod goes.

There is no firing pin on a percussion arm but you can mushroom or crack the nipple.

Don’t dry fire a percussion arm. Whale thevBritish had their snap cap the reproductions of them are ****.

There is no firing pin on a percussion arm but you can mushroom or crack the nipple.

Don’t dry fire a percussion arm. Whale thevBritish had their snap cap the reproductions of them are ****.
If this is a trapdoor it would have a firing pin.
I agree though on a percussion musket you could definitely crack the nipple.

Firing it would be expensive anyway. 50-70 ammo has been obsolete for many years and when you do find it it's pretty pricey. Nice rifle though. I'm currently rebuilding a Model 1870 myself.

Back