Women in Grand Rapids (Grand Rapids, Kent County) wore a type of semi uniform. In 1861 when the 3rd Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment was presented with a regimental flag 20 young ladies were attired in red Zouave jackets and brown jockey caps trimmed in red, white and blue. The rest of the ladies, 6 in number, wore blue dresses with white and red sashes pinned at the shoulder with a metal star. These 6 ladies also carried blue parasols with 13 gold stars. Silon, Gordon L., A Grand Rapids Sampler, GHistory .R. Hist. Commission, 1992.