Slavery/blockade runner question

archieclement

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
The thought occurred to me today as Cuba and Brazil hadn't abolished slavery during the ACW, are there known instances of blockade runners taking slaves on outbound trips to say Cuba?

In the last year of the war as slaves prices plummeted, wouldn't it at some point have rivaled cotton in profitability?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Archie, thank you for asking the question. I'm aware of this and really need to get off my duff and start a thread about it.

I'm not aware of Confederates running slaves through the blockade, rather, Union Army officers and Northern shipping interests (and all that entails) kidnapping supposedly "free blacks" and running them to Cuban slave markets for sale.

It's in the historical record and like I said, it's high time this is addressed. I'll get to work on it.

archieclement

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Sounds interesting, wasn't aware of that aspect. Though guess not surprising considering the cotton abuses.

I was wondering if some of the smaller runners that would run to the smaller shallow water ports with limited cargo space, might not have tried running slaves.

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Have to say, just ran into an article while poking around in era news. Two Union officers got in huge trouble, arrested for dealing in cotton. Where there's a quick buck.... . Unclear how they did it. Went to the pokey. Never been a fan of some policies, like the one where children were affected by shortages.

Yep, have ads from March, 1865 offering enslaved for sale. And Drew, really? Do kidnapped civilians have to come up in every thread? It happened. There's an entire movie about it based on his book- 12 Years? And there's Gettysburg, copious documentation. I'm not being snarky or contentious, it's just unhelpful to history's narrative to keep this stuff on the boil.

Carronade

1st Lieutenant
Outbound cargo was intended to be sold in order to purchase whatever they wanted to bring in to the Confederacy on the return trip. Most of what they wanted to import came from Britain or other European countries, whether it was military supplies or luxury/consumer goods. It would make sense to take something you could sell in Nassau or Bermuda or wherever.

USS ALASKA

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
The thought occurred to me today as Cuba and Brazil hadn't abolished slavery during the ACW, are there known instances of blockade runners taking slaves on outbound trips to say Cuba?
While this might make economic sense, on an international level - in which the Confederacy was trying desperately to get recognition - this could backfire horribly. The Royal Navy still had anti-slaver patrols out and about. A few captures of ships / crews / cargoes is going to create more damage than it could possibly be worth.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

And Drew, really? Do kidnapped civilians have to come up in every thread? It happened. There's an entire movie about it based on his book- 12 Years? And there's Gettysburg, copious documentation. I'm not being snarky or contentious, it's just unhelpful to history's narrative to keep this stuff on the boil.
I'm really not concerned with movies and there is no "copious documentation" of this in the so-called Gettysburg Campaign. Like I said, it's time I got off my duff and show the Forum what Union forces did to African Americans during the war. We'll use primary sources and not what modern college professors choose to ignore.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
Have to say, just ran into an article while poking around in era news. Two Union officers got in huge trouble, arrested for dealing in cotton. Where there's a quick buck.... . Unclear how they did it. Went to the pokey. Never been a fan of some policies, like the one where children were affected by shortages.

Yep, have ads from March, 1865 offering enslaved for sale. And Drew, really? Do kidnapped civilians have to come up in every thread? It happened. There's an entire movie about it based on his book- 12 Years? And there's Gettysburg, copious documentation. I'm not being snarky or contentious, it's just unhelpful to history's narrative to keep this stuff on the boil.
The kidnapping of blacks during the Gettysburg campaign is too often ignored.

Probably because of the dearth of actual evidence that it happened. It's a great story, if you've evidence post it.

I'm the first one to climb on board when I see it.

I’ve read John Tory Bourne’s account of ships’cargo through Bermuda 1861-1865 and not one mention of the slave trade. Blockade Runners were running guns, blankets, shoes, food and supplies in exchange for cotton and other goods. Some profiteering on the side as well of course.

archieclement

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Outbound cargo was intended to be sold in order to purchase whatever they wanted to bring in to the Confederacy on the return trip. Most of what they wanted to import came from Britain or other European countries, whether it was military supplies or luxury/consumer goods. It would make sense to take something you could sell in Nassau or Bermuda or wherever.
I have read that Havana was a popular port for gulf coast blockade runners, obviously the sale of slaves wouldn't be unusual there.

Also read smaller ships, many times small sailing brigs/schooners were running to small shallow water ports on the gulf coast that didn't draw blockade attention. But their cargo capacity was very limited.

Last edited:

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host

Have multiple threads on it, some ignored, some with the usual ' prove it ' or ' Well, they were ex-slaves ' ( isn't that maybe the most insane argument? Like it was ok as long as someone thought they ' owned ' a human being?? ). I'll try to bump some. Unclear what further documentation is needed over first hand accounts by multiple civilians who saw it happen. Heck, by people who were swiped out of their shoes and escaped. Was it Margaret Palm who hid in Christ Church belfry? Escaped as they were marched through town, hid, ate and drank nothing for 3 days. Why is she- and I mean her words- not accepted as a source? NO idea.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)