Signal Corps jackets

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Has anyone seen why the Union Army made special jackets of enlisted men of the Signal Corps? I know that some special jackets and frock coats were made by the Union, but the Signal Corps jacket has puzzled me.

In general it looks like a fairly common roundabout jacket that has 11 buttons. So why 11 buttons? Union mounted jackets (some examples of infantry mounted jackets exist) have 12 buttons and it would seem that the Signal Corps would have been issued either 12 button mounted jackets or sack coats. Making a special jacket for them seemed unnecessary.

Few Civil War uniform books go into any great detail on Signal Corps jackets. I believe I have seen 10 button Signal Corps jackets in photographs, but perhaps these were private purchase.

This is an image I found on the internet.
signal 1.jpg

This is how the Signal Corps Jackets are usually discussed. They had 11 small eagle buttons and three buttons on each cuff (probably functional cuffs). I have seen some variation in the height of the standing collars. Below is a jacket I found on line that was called a Signal Corps Jacket, however note it has not Signal Corps insignia and has but two buttons on the sleeves. I have seen this style of jacket call the Schuylkill Arsenal Jacket. If so these Schuylkill Arsenal Jacket were issued both in the East and in the West. They are very similar to what people call the Signal Corps Jacket. I wonder if there is a connection?

signal 5.jpg

Another Schuylkill Arsenal Jacket. The collar button was added, probably by the soldier.

signal 3.jpg

Are the "Signal Corps Jackets" just Schuylkill Arsenal Jacket, perhaps some with a third cuff button? I have not seen a US Army uniform regulation that specifies a Signal Corps Jacket (this does not mean the Army never published an amendment to the uniform regulations, just that I have never s.een it). Perhaps Signal Corps enlisted men were simply often photographed wearing Schuylkill Arsenal Jackets. Signal men could have also privately purchased similar jackets. Regardless this type of jacket is associated with the Signal Corps.

Another Schuylkill Arsenal Jacket. The collar button was added, probably by the soldier.

View attachment 206271

Are the "Signal Corps Jackets" just Schuylkill Arsenal Jacket, perhaps some with a third cuff button? I have not seen a US Army uniform regulation that specifies a Signal Corps Jacket (this does not mean the Army never published an amendment to the uniform regulations, just that I have never s.een it). Perhaps Signal Corps enlisted men were simply often photographed wearing Schuylkill Arsenal Jackets. Signal men could have also privately purchased similar jackets. Regardless this type of jacket is associated with the Signal Corps.
I think you are correct, that the jackets were a preference of the Corps, but not part of an issue regulation. There are just as many pictures of Signal Corps soldiers in frock and sack coats, but there is also an equal number of shell jackets. The Horse Soldier recently sold a complete Signal Corps uniform; I'll ask Wes what the maker marks were, if any.

Signal-Det.jpg

Looking at the Signal Corps barracks in Washington DC, there are approximately 57 "discernable" soldiers and they seem to be equally split between shell/roundabout and sack coat. Some are in shirtsleeves and a couple in frocks. I do note that they are wearing swordbelt plates due to their mounted nature.

signal corps 2.jpg

The jacket under discussion is called the Infantry uniform jacket and was issued in the second half of the war to both Infantry and Signal Corps troops whose commanding officers permitted them to be drawn. They were manufactured by Schuylkill Arsenal, T. J. Martin, Harkness and doubtless others. They are found with both 11-button and 12-button fronts. Attached is an Infantry uniform jacket made by Schuylkill Arsenal with a 12-button front.

SA shell jacket_s2.jpg

After further study of National Archives records, existing uniforms, and period photographs, I now believe that the 11 and 12 button front jackets with low collars and no colored trim worn by Infantry and Signal Corps soldiers represent individual soldier or company tailor modifications of Cavalry and Artillery jackets. There is no compelling evidence in the National Archives that the Quartermaster Department authorized, produced or issued an Infantry uniform jacket. By contrast, Wilder's Brigade of mounted Infantry reported removing the trim from Cavalry jackets.

Three years later, I picked up another Schuylkill Arsenal jacket, this one with Signal Corps insignia on the left sleeve. It is one of the set of three Signal Corps ensembles that Jim Stamatelos acquired from Maine; the Signal Corps jacket with three buttons on the cuff, shown above, is from the same lot. Careful study indicates that this jacket was converted from a Cavalry or Artillery uniform.
Signal Corps FRIs.jpg

Very nice jacket. The signal patch is a nice one. Would it would have taken considerable work to convert an artillery or cavalry jacket in to a signal jacket?

Depending on the maker of the uniform jacket, there sometimes were edge seams hidden under the front trim, and those needed to be reworked after the trim was removed. Because the bolsters were set into the lower back seams, those needed to be closed up after the bolsters were removed. The same was true of the leading edge of the collar, where the hook and eye was removed after the collar height was reduced. Sometimes the rear was squared off, removing the center point. Less often, but still with some frequency, the front was shortened, making it an 11-button or 12-button coat. There was some tailor work involved, but less work or expense than converting an Infantry frock into a Signal Corps or Infantry jacket.

army-signal-corps.jpg

The reason for a Signal Corps uniform goes directly back to its creation. In 1859 a surgeon named Albert Meyer was the Signal Officer of the Army. It was both a title & a description. He was the only signal officer in the army. The cadre of seven officers that he trained included Porter Alexander ( yep, that Porter Alexander. ) were the seed corn for the wartime birth of the signal corps on both sides.
Signal Corps Private.jpeg

The Byzantine army tempest in a tea cup that preceded the designation of the Signal Corps as an independent branch was the typical dour old army turf warfare. When the branch was created, ipso facto, a new branch uniform was required. There were only 2,500 men in the corps, the same size as the Marine Corps. Virtually all the men who served in the signal corps were detailed, so no special uniform was required.
Signal Corps NCO hat patch.jpeg

Signal Corps NCO hat patch

Signal Corps Officer's Hat Patch.jpeg

Signal Corps officer hat patch

Signal Corps Badge.jpeg

Signal Cops shoulder patch​

Signalists were mounted. They were issued cavalry boots, a pistol & a saber. That explains the short cavalry style jacket. They wore a signal corps crossed flags badge on their kepi... much to their amusement, they were often mistaken for officers & saluted.

Star signal flag.jpeg

The right to use a star rather than the standard square center of the flags was an honor.
The West Point battle honor refers to the August 16, 1862 engagement at Eltham's Landing VA.
The recipient of the honor is unknown.

I still remember how deeply proud I was the first time I wore my Cub Scout uniform to school. Likewise, walking into school in my latte jacket was a watershed moment Uniforms really matter, especially to military men. Wilder's men were issued cavalry jackets when they were mounted. The first thing they did was to pick off the yellow cavalry piping.

Signal Corps corporal.jpeg

I have a Signal Corps patch above the sergeant's stripes on both sleeves of my sack coat. The man I patterned it on was an A of the P soldier who veteranizedd & became a signalist. The two flag patches indicate a qualified instructor.

Thanks for posting the Signal Corps uniforms. Signalist items a very rare, so it is a treat to see them. RheaCole

Last edited:
Back