Sherry Cobbler

Sherry became affordable for Americans in the Mid-19th century. They relied on imported sherry as well as its fortified cousin, Madeira. In the 1840s, the sherry cobbler became very popular. Our Victorian friends loved the “exotic” ingredients and ice was still a novelty. While ice wasn’t new in the 1840s, ice harvesting had become rapidly industrialized in the decade prior so it was much more easily available.

The sherry cobbler made an unexpected comeback in 2015 and continues to be popular in swanky bars today. @major bill mentioned cobblers in another thread so I thought folks might enjoy the recipe. They're simple to make so give one a try and raise a glass to history.

Sherry Cobbler

Ingredients:
4 oz. dry Amontillado or Oloroso sherry (Oloroso is darker than Amontillado and has a more nutty taste.)
1⁄4 oz. (or ½ tbsp.) simple syrup
2 slices orange, halved
Maraschino cherry

Directions:
In a cocktail shaker, combine sherry, simple syrup, and a halved orange slice. Shake vigorously for 10–15 seconds and strain into a highball glass filled with cracked ice. Garnish with another halved orange slice and a Maraschino cherry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds an interesting drink. I would like to delve more into the food and drink of the period. While looking into the 69th Irish division I discovered that one part whiskey and two parts champagne is the traditional drink.

Ellie. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe with the forum. I am a sherry drinker and will have to try this particular drink at some point in the very near future. Cheers!!! A toast to you!!! David.

Back