Sherman Sherman was a hero

Sherman was a war criminal,a pyromaniac,evil man who took pleasure in fighting non-combatants,i.e. women, children & old men.I guess that kind of "fighting" made him feel important.I can see nothing brilliant about that.You are very wrong.Read his letters to his wife about how much he enjoyed his war criminal acts.

Excuse me a moment, let me get this paper bag over my head. (SHRIEK!) Thanks. Now I feel better. I knew I'd have to do that if I read one more post asserting Sherman was an evil, sadistic pyromaniac. When he first heard of South Carolina's secession he cried, but I am sure those were tears of joy at the thought of all the helpless Southerners he could torment.:rolleyes:

Excuse me a moment, let me get this paper bag over my head. (SHRIEK!) Thanks. Now I feel better. I knew I'd have to do that if I read one more post asserting Sherman was an evil, sadistic pyromaniac. When he first heard of South Carolina's secession he cried, but I am sure those were tears of joy at the thought of all the helpless Southerners he could torment.:rolleyes:

While he finished grilling some kittens.

R

" Finished grilling some kittens ", OHHHmygosh, I just blew a hole out of Diane's bag ( which I borrowed ) laughing, thank you!! That's so funny I'm looking around here for someone to wake up, only Mom would know what on earth I'm crying about and she has a heart condition, might not be the best thing to do to her this early.

Yes, I see your point BillO, what exactly is a hero, plus boy, be a tough expectation for anyone in the south to get around THAT far- Sherman a hero. It's a tough call, and I could get it in the neck for saying this but there's the perspective where he took his men's lives terribly seriously. Only 600 lost in the entire march,sounds a lot, yes but it wasn't considering the time span and what they did. he just wouldn't risk them without cause, considered himself responsible for every, single soldier. Yes, this would be where people would say " What about alllll the people he.... ( and the grilled kittens would pop up from the extremists ) ". I'm merely speaking of what he acheived on behalf of his men, bottom line.

Someone who has done a good personality study on Sherman would have to give a more definitive answer to this, but I'd have to guess based on what I know ( so far ) that he'd have disliked the whole 'hero' thing? Wasn't he like his buddy Grant on this stuff, not really knowing what to do with public acclaim?

" Finished grilling some kittens ", OHHHmygosh, I just blew a hole out of Diane's bag ( which I borrowed ) laughing, thank you!! That's so funny I'm looking around here for someone to wake up, only Mom would know what on earth I'm crying about and she has a heart condition, might not be the best thing to do to her this early.

Yes, I see your point BillO, what exactly is a hero, plus boy, be a tough expectation for anyone in the south to get around THAT far- Sherman a hero. It's a tough call, and I could get it in the neck for saying this but there's the perspective where he took his men's lives terribly seriously. Only 600 lost in the entire march,sounds a lot, yes but it wasn't considering the time span and what they did. he just wouldn't risk them without cause, considered himself responsible for every, single soldier. Yes, this would be where people would say " What about alllll the people he.... ( and the grilled kittens would pop up from the extremists ) ". I'm merely speaking of what he acheived on behalf of his men, bottom line.

Someone who has done a good personality study on Sherman would have to give a more definitive answer to this, but I'd have to guess based on what I know ( so far ) that he'd have disliked the whole 'hero' thing? Wasn't he like his buddy Grant on this stuff, not really knowing what to do with public acclaim?

Oh, wait, 'D Lord', Da Lord? Maybe this person does know something we're not aware of. Omnipotence has it's privileges.

Of course Sherman is a hero.....he and Grant brought the war to its conclusion. Hood abandoned the people of Georgia to the mercy of Sherman's Army....why don't people gripe about that. I realize Hood didn't have any good options after Atlanta but giving Sherman a free hand to march as he pleases through the heart of Georgia is a good one?!?!?

Sherman didn't consider himself a hero. We throw the term around too easily today.

If Sherman had been a Confederate General who ripped the guts out of Ohio he would be idolized by the opposite side of the aisle. The people that hate Sherman are the same ones who lionize Hood & his men at Franklin for their courage then pillory Burnside & his men at Fredricksburg in the next breath.

Bragg's actions in Kentucky cemented that state into the US camp. Wells were poisoned, livestock & fodder confiscated... yet oddly you will never hear them mention it. They'll defend or deny it ever happened. Because it was done by the CS it's ok, that's the issue.

Sherman didn't consider himself a hero. We throw the term around too easily today.

If Sherman had been a Confederate General who ripped the guts out of Ohio he would be idolized by the opposite side of the aisle. The people that hate Sherman are the same ones who lionize Hood & his men at Franklin for their courage then pillory Burnside & his men at Fredricksburg in the next breath.

Bragg's actions in Kentucky cemented that state into the US camp. Wells were poisoned, livestock & fodder confiscated... yet oddly you will never hear them mention it. They'll defend or deny it ever happened. Because it was done by the CS it's ok, that's the issue.

Leadbetter's mission into eastern Tennessee to 'put down the rebellion' made Sherman's march a Sunday walk. (And that brings ups an interesting side thread - the people who were complaining about Lincoln's calling up an army to put down a rebellion weren't shy about doing the exact same thing!)

The thing with Hood that doesn't get much discussion is this: what would have happened if he had been in Georgia when Davis fled Richmond? Davis wasn't exactly fleeing, either - he considered it a strategic retreat and somehow managed to keep the government intact and running for a surprising length of time. If there had been an army around instead of a cavalry detachment, perhaps Davis would have succeeded in his original objective, which was to get to the trans-Mississippi and set up there. At the last extreme, hop a ship for Cuba! (Don't know if Davis was half a bubble out of plumb about that time or not - but he would have escaped at least.) And, it's also interesting that Sherman was NOT in Georgia when Richmond fell. Not sure if that was calculated into the overall plan, but it sure worked out nicely for Sherman. What would he have done, or had to do, if he'd been the one to capture Davis?

Ooops! Sorry. :redface: I need to start another thread!

Back