Sherfy Barn Fire -When?

dennmorr

Private
Official Vendor
I apologize if I missed an earlier thread, but has anyone here found information on the time of the Fire on July 2? I have assumed it was sometime after Barksdale moved thru, but I don't have any thing to support that.

Captain John Downey of Company C, 73rd New York was almost burned alive in the barn, as he claimed in a July 8, 1863 letter. He stated that the barn was set on fire by Federal artillery on July 3 [almost certainly during the afternoon artillery exchange]. See, by @ErnieMac :

Another source, a member of Captain William W. Parker's battery, posted near the Peach Orchard:

[July 3] Presently a barn near by, where a number of Federal wounded had been put the night previous, was discovered to be on fire. The enemy's shells had ignited this building in which their own wounded lay. Andrew Barker, always kind and impulsive, raised the cry, "The wounded! The wounded!" Captain Parker ordered the battery to cease firing, and our boys and others of the battalion [Col. E. P. Alexander's] at once went to the rescue of these unfortunates, though it is feared some of them were burnt to death.

("Where Men Only Dare to Go!" or the Story of a Boy Company, by Royall W. J. Figg, Parker's battery, Richmond, VA: Whittet & Shepperson, 1885, p. 143)

Does anyone recollect reading that members of Wilcox's Brigade also rescued wounded Federal soldiers from the burning barn? I can't remember where I read that.

Does anyone recollect reading that members of Wilcox's Brigade also rescued wounded Federal soldiers from the burning barn? I can't remember where I read that.
That was possible as they were located on the far right of the Confederate line.

Back