Service Records?

Hello everyone, after a breakthrough discovery in my mothers side of my family tree, I found a man by the name of John Adams Drake, Jr. He is my 3rd great-grandfather through his daughter Daisy. I am looking for information on enlistment, regiment, discharge, etc. I have no idea about his service, but found a photo of him in a Confederate uniform so I would assume he is a veteran. I’ll post the picture.
84502916-91CB-424B-8C34-54F7F7BE2545.jpeg

The picture is blurry but it is the only one I could find, I assume it is still confederate though. Dr. John Adams Drake was born on May 9, 1838 in Nash, North Caroline and passed away on July 3, 1926 in Clarksville, Mecklenburg, Virginia, USA. Thank you all!

Bob Velke

Private
Official Vendor
There were Confederate soldiers named "John A. Drake" or "J. A. Drake" or "J. Drake" who served in regiments from KY, TX, GA, TN, AL, ... and one from NC. The service records of all of them are likely on Fold3 but I looked at the one from NC.

He is listed as "John A. Drake", Co. H, 12th NC Infantry. He enlisted in Nash County as a Private and mustered out as a Captain. His service file is 68 pages long (!) and it says that he was a physician who was 23 years old in 1861 (i.e., born circa 1838). (Later pages say that he was 26 at that time, however.)

As a 1st Lieutenant, he was Court Martialed in November, 1863 for "Violation of Orders" (G.O. #101-9), found guilty, and given a reprimand. He was apparently wounded at least twice, captured at Petersburg in March, 1865, and was released on 17 Jun 1865 with an Oath of Allegiance.

[There was actually a second one from NC. He was "John Drake" of Co. G, 6th North Carolina Senior Reserves but he was 48 years old in 1864.]