Restricted Debate Sentry at Charlottesville...

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Grandstanding ... Plain and simple
"Thorpe said he thinks the Robert E. Lee statue should be taken down and replaced with a statue of a Union soldier." When I saw the picture, I thought the gentleman was a reenactor, standing to protect the statue since it represents the foe the Union Soldier fought so valiantly against. But he's not.

Just my opinion, but it seems to me that the accomplishment of the Union soldier is more meaningful when we recognize that the enemy was a courageous opponent. The men who fought on the side of the Union certainly expressed their respect for the Confederate soldier - men they faced on the field of battle. Just read the newspapers of the time.

"Thorpe said he thinks the Robert E. Lee statue should be taken down and replaced with a statue of a Union soldier." When I saw the picture, I thought the gentleman was a reenactor, standing to protect the statue since it represents the foe the Union Soldier fought so valiantly against. But he's not.

Just my opinion, but it seems to me that the accomplishment of the Union soldier is more meaningful when we recognize that the enemy was a courageous opponent. The men who fought on the side of the Union certainly expressed their respect for the Confederate soldier - men they faced on the field of battle. Just read the newspapers of the time.
Not all Union men did. There was certainly a lot of raw hate after the war, too, on both sides.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!