Sawed off shotgun muzzleloader

T_13

Cadet
Good afternoon,

This is my first thread, so thank in advance for any advice or information. I picked up this sawed off double barrel shotgun the other day. It has the markings " John Farson" on both lock plates. I know there is probably no way to linking it to CW but what else would it be used for? Any ideas on this piece?

Thank you all again.

T

shotgun MZ.jpg

I know what it was originally used for. My question is, why would this one be cut down other than combat.

It's an interesting old piece, and will be fun to own and a great conversation starter! The barrels look massive--at least ten gauge and maybe even eight gauge. Have you removed the wedge and lifted the barrels out of the stock? They might be stamped with the gauge on the underside, near the breech end. If you find any indication or can measure the bores with a micrometer, please post your findings. I am very curious.

I do see that the stock was nicely checkered at one time. That's further indication that in started out as a sporting arm. I'm going to stick my neck out and speculate that it was a waterfowling piece, modified at some point to be a defense piece. What I perceive to be large bores lead me to the waterfowl guess, and would also suggest why it was chosen for its potential as an "alley sweeper."

I know what it was originally used for. My question is, why would this one be cut down other than combat.
The owners son got some mud in the end of the barrels and did not notice they were plugged. After the son shot the gun you know how mad Dad was. After Dad cooled down he cut the damaged ends off to salvage the gun. It was never a very good long range gun after that but many rabbits were added to the pot.

Man honestly it would be **** for a hunting gun. You would have to be really close. It just seems odd to cut it back that far on the barrel (its 18 inches).

The owners son got some mud in the end of the barrels and did not notice they were plugged. After the son shot the gun you know how mad Dad was. After Dad cooled down he cut the damaged ends off to salvage the gun. It was never a very good long range gun after that but many rabbits were added to the pot.
Man honestly it would be **** for a hunting gun. You would have to be really close. It just seems odd to cut it back that far on the barrel (its 18 inches).
There are several reasons, damage as @plymouthairrifle stated, personnell protection ie carriage gun etc etc.

I'm sorry the underside of the barrels doesn't reveal more information. My eye was drawn to one area of a photo. Is there a stamped number in the area that I circled? Looks like an 8 or a 3 to me. I don't see a corresponding mark on the other barrel, but there's a lot of corrosion built up on both. I really think you have a very large bore shotgun--at least a 10 gauge and perhaps an 8 gauge.
8 copy.jpg

I concur with you whole Hartley. that is very common. it is still a very useful weapon.

Back