Period Santa's Cookies

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
This is another recipe from "Old Time Recipes To Enjoy", The Kentucky Explorer Magazine". Make these for your family or put on plate and have out for Santa on Christmas Eve. A wonderful treat for "Jolly Old St. Nick".

Santa's Cookies

"One cup peanut butter, one egg, and one cup granulated sugar. Mix egg and peanut butter, and granulated sugar, blending until smooth. Roll dough into a ball and place on a cookie sheet, Press by crisscrossing fork tongs across the top of the ball and press each cookie down. Bake at 350 degrees for five to eight minutes. Let cool 10 minutes, then place on tray or plate to serve.".

I always use a Christmas plate of Santa that my Mom made years ago. It is so festive for the season.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Was peanut butter used that much during the Victorian Era and especially during the Civil War?
Please forgive my bad habit of sticking my snoot into where it doesn't belong, but David's question got me wondering. I am going to post an interesting article I found on the subject. :smile:

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
The Legend of Milk and Cookies

Long ago tradition said,
The children would lay their heads,
and wait patiently for Santa,
snuggled up in their warm beds.

They'd place their Christmas stockings
high above the fireplace
and set out milk and cookies
to put a smile on Santa's face.

The tradition still remains
and the happy time is here.
So bring out the milk and cookies,
It's the best night of the year.

Author unknown.

A cute poem to go with your milk and cookies for Santa.

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
I just made 3 and a half dozen of these cookies (don't worry I was super careful of my sickness!) for my daughter to give out as gifts to her coworkers. I used creamy peanut butter and made them a little large so I had to bake them for about 12 minutes. They turned out pretty good! She just go thome from work (11pm Cali time) and was very thankful Mom came to the rescue! I can not recommend this easy and delish cookie recipe enough!