Same woman ?

John Winn

Lt. Colonel
As some of you know I recently was given a book of photos which includes some of my immediate family. These two are from that collection.

What I'd like is opinions as to whether the women in the two photos are the same person. I want to say they are but also have some doubts so thought I'd put it out there for you folks who study such things. The woman with the child is my grandmother (her husband being the son of my avatar John Winn).

Oh, and anyone want to try and date the portrait of the woman ? The one with the child is 1898.

Thanks for your indulgence.
Scan0001.jpg

Last edited:
1555689165669.png

I think they might be sisters? Did your great grandmother have a sister? Your great grandmother seems to have blue or grey eyes and the other woman seems to have brown eyes? Any family history to indicate what color eyes your great grandmother had?

EDIT TO ADD: The lips on the lady left seem to be fuller too. And the shape of the ear seems different.

That said, when overlayed, all the features seem to line up - eye, height of ear, forehead, hairline, etc.
1555690047955.png

Last edited:
View attachment 303463
I think they might be sisters? Did your great grandmother have a sister? Your great grandmother seems to have blue or grey eyes and the other woman seems to have brown eyes? Any family history to indicate what color eyes your great grandmother had?

EDIT TO ADD: The lips on the lady left seem to be fuller too. And the shape of the ear seems different.

That said, when overlayed, all the features seem to line up - eye, height of ear, forehead, hairline, etc.
View attachment 303465

Yes, she had a sister. I've attached the only photos of her I have (also in the collection) I have no family history whatsoever so have no idea what color eyes they might have had. My family had no photos.

I did notice that the woman in the portrait has an earring while it doesn't look like my great grandmother did. Her sister sports earrings even a teenager so that makes me wonder if the portrait is her sister.

clemence_bible_mamie.jpg
clemence_bible_mamie_young.jpg

Last edited:
Back