NF Sad news

Non-Fiction
He will be missed but his classic work, Confederates in the attic, lives on. Condolences to his friends and family.

1559169178149.png

A large tribute piece on Tony is in the local paper in Melbourne this morning. And this photo of him hitchhiking from Sydney to Ayers Rock in central Australia.

His book was one of the first I read after I caught the Civil War bug, after The Killer Angels. It made me make my husband take me to some of the places in the book. I’ve since recommended it to I don’t know how many people.

View attachment 309690
A large tribute piece on Tony is in the local paper in Melbourne this morning. And this photo of him hitchhiking from Sydney to Ayers Rock in central Australia.
:smile: Seems like a guy who lived a full life, even if it ended too soon ...

I haven't read his book, but I've read a lot about it here. He's a man who left his mark.

RIP. Gone on to travel the highways of heaven.

Really, really sad. What an interesting gentleman. Last week while I traveled, I had the pleasure of listening to a NPR segment on him. Twice! When I was still, I ordered his new book only to learn a few hours later of his passing.

Condolences to his family, friends and wanna be friends. Keep his memory alive.

-Yulie

Met him a few times. First was back in 2011 (I think) and the Boston Public Library was holding a series of programs for the 150th. He was one of the speakers and he and I had a brief conversation on the Confederate flag after the program.

A few years later I ran into him in Concord, Massachusetts while he was doing research for his John Brown book.

What other Civil War historians/writers have we lost in 2019? I know Richard Sommers passed a few weeks ago. I knew he had been ill, as I received an email from Len Reidel from the BGES mentioning his illness and passing along Dr. Sommers' address for people to send cards. I was actually going to send one but life got a tad busy and I never got the chance.

Last edited:
RIP

I had been hoping he might write a sequel to Confederates in the Attic as the book's topics had become only more relevant since it's original publication.

Very sad. I've read Confederates in the Attic, and often go back to it for a laugh. I did not read his book on John Brown but I heard it is good as well.

Tony Horwitz, the author of Confederates in the Attic, died very unexpectedly yesterday at the very young age of 60. I had the good fortune of doing a book signing with him in 1998 and found him to be a good guy, quick with a good story and a hearty laugh, and unfailingly generous with his time. He was on a book tour when he died. He will be missed. RIP, Tony.

https://vineyardgazette.com/news/20...4mLXaazEZIkvH5NwnITrN0o4BkiR4b4il_Z89RATwTqM0

I'm so sorry to hear about this. My own husband died very unexpectedly at only 62 (had no chronic health issues). What cheers my heart is to know that he is in heaven catching up with D.H. Hill, Rosecrans, Jackson, Buford and all the other civil war people he loved to read so much about. I trust it is the same with your dear friend.

Back