Richmond zouaves

Cpl. Smith

Sergeant
Hello it's been a while. I would like to find out more on this little known zouave company. I believe there to be a picture of them in Richmond from before 1st Manassas
88853d2e743531d1ac514ff174b62396-2.jpg

I can't find too much about them other than they were Company E of the 44th Virginia .

Ron Field in his book American Civil War Confederate Army has a black and white drawing of a Richmond Zouaves and states the the drawing was made from information from artifacts and descriptions. They were organised by Captain Edward McConnell Jr during May of 1861.

Field has about 2/3 of a page about them in the above book, but is is mostly about their uniforms. The uniform in post #1 is based on a uniform in the collection of the Chicago Historical Society.

There is probably some information about them in the Richmond Daily Whig. Also Ron Field has been on CWT and he might have additional information from his research.

When I researched the Confederate Zouave units, in the Virginia chapter, I obviously came across the 44th regiment, which the Richmond Zouaves were part of. Among the various sources I found this: "The Chicago Historical Society, maintains a Zouave Confederate officer uniform that most likely belonged to a member of the Richmond Zouaves."

I contacted "The Chicago Historical Society", but they replied that they knew nothing about this uniform.

The picture looks like one from an Osprey series or something. CAn you find the source of the OP illustration?

Very interesting uniform potential here.

The picture looks like one from an Osprey series or something. CAn you find the source of the OP illustration?

Very interesting uniform potential here.
It is an illustration by Richard Hook and is featured in the Osprey book "The Confederate Army 1861-65 (4) Virginia and Arkansas

Back