Richmond visit

Billw12280

Sergeant
Sorry, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this topic but I am going to be visiting Virginia this weekend and I was looking for suggestions on must see sites or things to do. I'll be staying in Fredericksburg and have planned to visit Chancellorsville, Manassas, and then down to Richmond for the newly renovated Civil War Museum. Any other recommendations? Is it worth travelling further south to Petersburg for the Battle of the Crater site? I will only have 3 days for this trip so it will be a little rushed.

Hollywood Cemetery is well worth the stop in Richmond and while the Crater is very interesting, it is only a very small part of a very large park.
Hollywood Cemetery sounds very interesting, I may add that to my to do list. The crater site may need to wait until I have more time. Thanks for the info!

I'll be interested to hear about the museum. I'll be travelling by there a few times over the summer and am considering a pit stop. Please give a report.
Absolutely! This will be my first trip to Richmond so sadly I can't compare it to the MOC but I'm sure it will be phenomenal. I'm not sure what their policy is on photography but if I can, I'll try to snap some pictures.

If you have time while in Richmond,the White House Of The Confederacy is a must-see if you have never been there before.

IMO, if you have only 3 days to spend, I would concentrate on the Richmond area and leave Petersburg for another visit. Even so, you have a demanding schedule for the time allotted. Perhaps forgoing Manassas, which is actually closer to Washington DC, and adding some of the 1862 and 1864 battle sites involving the Peninsula and Overland Campaigns (Beaver Dam Creek, Malvern Hill, Cold Harbor, etc.) that are close to Richmond might be more useful.

If you have time while in Richmond,the White House Of The Confederacy is a must-see if you have never been there before.
They offer a pass to see 3 different sites for $30. They include Tredegar, The White House of the Confederacy, and The Civil War Museum at Appomattox. I may buy that pass.

IMO, if you have only 3 days to spend, I would concentrate on the Richmond area and leave Petersburg for another visit. Even so, you have a demanding schedule for the time allotted. Perhaps forgoing Manassas, which is actually closer to Washington DC, and adding some of the 1862 and 1864 battle sites involving the Peninsula and Overland Campaigns (Beaver Dam Creek, Malvern Hill, Cold Harbor, etc.) that are close to Richmond might be more useful.
I wish I had more time this trip but I will definitely be going back later since it's only a 7 hour drive for me. I selected Fredericksburg as my base point because it was kind of central to everything I would like to see. I want to try to see as much as I can in the time allotted but I most likely will not get to it all. I think the museums are going to be a definite and I would like to visit at least one or two of the battlefields since I can't see them all this time around. If you had to narrow it down to a couple of sites I could see in a day which would you suggest?

They offer a pass to see 3 different sites for $30. They include Tredegar, The White House of the Confederacy, and The Civil War Museum at Appomattox. I may buy that pass.
Appomattox is at least an hour-and-a-half drive from Richmond.

That is a tremendous amount of sights you're trying to see in three days. I did this same trip last year and think you'll be hard pressed to see it all. I suggest one full day, we're talking out the door at 5am to see Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville/Wilderness/ Spotsylvainia battlefields. It will all depend on how much walking around you plan to do while at each site. I would the suggest one dayfor the new Civil War Museumwhich includes Tredegar and the White House. Then the last day looking down the peninsula campaign. Malvern Hill, Gaines Mill and Cold Harbor are all there. Three days will be too short of time to really see everything.

as someone who travels the area a lot I would do Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Spotsylvania and the wilderness. if you like books go to Riverbys in Fredericksburg. Manassas is a good little ride. I would drive thru Hollywood cemetery.

:unsure: Looks like I'm going to need to do a lot of research and planning between now and Friday. Thanks for the heads up.
Hi @Billw12280 Sounds like a fantastic opportunity. Since you only have three days, you may want to confine yourself to one area per day? Although the roads are very good, the traffic can be a bear. In Richmond, dont miss the White house, the medical museum at Chimborazo, and Hollywood Cemetery. We also took a tourist boat ride up the river and enjoyed the view from the river.

That is a tremendous amount of sights you're trying to see in three days. I did this same trip last year and think you'll be hard pressed to see it all. I suggest one full day, we're talking out the door at 5am to see Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville/Wilderness/ Spotsylvainia battlefields. It will all depend on how much walking around you plan to do while at each site. I would the suggest one dayfor the new Civil War Museumwhich includes Tredegar and the White House. Then the last day looking down the peninsula campaign. Malvern Hill, Gaines Mill and Cold Harbor are all there. Three days will be too short of time to really see everything.
Thanks for the suggestions, sounds like a great plan! I really wish I had more time but I will definitely be making a second trip.

If in or around Richmond, Tredegar Iron Works, Hollywood Cemetery are worth a peek, as well as the Confederate White House.
At Fredericksburg also check out The Wilderness, Spotsylvania Courthouse and Guinea Station (all within 30 minutes or so of each other).

Hi @Billw12280 Sounds like a fantastic opportunity. Since you only have three days, you may want to confine yourself to one area per day? Although the roads are very good, the traffic can be a bear. In Richmond, dont miss the White house, the medical museum at Chimborazo, and Hollywood Cemetery. We also took a tourist boat ride up the river and enjoyed the view from the river.
I am very excited about this trip, my kids however are apathetic. My initial plan was to visit Manassas and Chancellorsville one day and Richmond the second day. I was undecided about what to do on the third day but I like @mt155 and @gentlemanrob recommendations. Whatever I don't see this trip will have to be planned for my next visit.

Back