Restricted Removing Confederate Monuments would edit history

CMWinkler

Colonel
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Expired Image Removed

1 / 30

The east face of the Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument is shown in Linn Park in Birmingham, Ala., Wednesday, July 1, 2015. The Spirit of the American Doughboy statue can be seen at left. The Birmingham Park and Recreation Board is attempting to have the monument removed from the park where it has stood for 110 years. (Mark Almond/ [email protected])
Mark Almond | [email protected]

Expired Image RemovedBy Kelsey Stein | [email protected]
Follow on Twitter
on July 11, 2015 at 11:37 AM, updated July 11, 2015 at 4:23 PM

Reddit

Expired Image Removed

As the debate about Confederate symbolism rages on, many are advocating the removal of Confederate monuments as the next step after flags come down from poles outside government buildings.

But, before eradicating every monument that evokes the Confederacy, we should consider the effects of sanitizing history, said Pamela Sterne King, a UAB assistant professor with a focus on public history and historic preservation.

More: http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/07/removing_confederate_monument.html

28thNewYork

First Sergeant
Silver Patron
Like it or not, the Civil War happened. What happened, where it happened, who was involved are all important to know and to remember. I trust we can separate out the repeated misuse of the CBF from the equation and realize that those who ignore (or choose to wipe out reminders of) history are doomed to repeat it. Better that we remember from whence we came then to erase the fact that we were, at one point, there.

Last edited:

Sons of Liberty

Sergeant
This painful time in American history has indeed left a scar upon our Nation. It is still polarizing us today, but attempting to destroy all signs of that history will not heal those wounds. It brings to mind something that smacks of ethnic cleansing and will only serve to aggravate and further entrench our differences. These monuments are remembrances much like headstones in a cemetery. Let them rest in peace.

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I really hope that the Confederate Monuments are not removed. It is a part of history. If they remove these what will be next. There is some talk on the Washington Monument in Washington DC and the Jefferson Memorial because they (Washington and Jefferson) owned slaves. They are our presidents. People have gone crazy.

Bruce Vail

1st Lieutenant
I find myself with conflicting feelings about calls to remove the Lee-Jackson statue in Baltimore, just 3 or 4 miles from my house.

As a history lover, my mind rebels at the idea of removal, especially if the monument is destroyed or consigned forever to some lonely warehouse.

Yet the fine double equestrian statue is exceedingly inappropriate. It is sited in a public park that has no actual historical connection to Lee or Jackson. The statue appears to celebrate the Confederate victory at Chancellorsville.

Removal and re-erection at the 'Confederate Hill' section of Loudon Cemetery or at the National Battlefield Park at Chancellorsville seem like very good options to me. Especially if the Baltimore City Counciol could get the Park Serive to buy it and pay for relocation.

I mean, think of the Gettysburg Battlefield, which has the largest collection of outdoor sculpture in the country. There is a history of the memory of the battle that should be told. I recommend Desjardins' These Honored Dead.

I really hope that the Confederate Monuments are not removed. It is a part of history. If they remove these what will be next. There is some talk on the Washington Monument in Washington DC and the Jefferson Memorial because they (Washington and Jefferson) owned slaves. They are our presidents. People have gone crazy.

I seriously doubt anyone is promoting that. The point is the Washington Monument or the Jefferson Monument doesn't celebrate their achievements as slave owners, or in protecting or promoting slavery. Monuments around the Confederacy carry that baggage.

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Well, I don't think monuments should be removed, but if that's what a community wants to do, then they should do it. It's ridiculous to claim it's getting rid of history. A monument isn't history. It's also not editing history. It's simply removing one interpretation of history.

DanF

Captain
How does removing a flag from Govt. Buildings or removing monuments "erase" history?

Did we erase the American revolution by not having the British flags flying over our govt. Buildings?

Or by not building monuments all over the country dedicated to british soldiers?

huskerblitz

Major
I think plaques or panels interpreting the monuments for the general public might be the best solution.
So....who does the interpreting? Isn't that what is causing this fuss for some? These monuments are 'celebrating' slavery and the such? Who determines how a monument is interpreted?

Caswell Ranger

Corporal
We are creating a utopia where no one will ever again be offended. :skip: Remember folks, when we Americans all pull together, there is nothing we cannot accomplish.

huskerblitz

Major
Ummm..... we have plenty of documentation from the confederates as to why they chose the course of action they did and what the purpose of the Confederacy was.

Did they or did they not fight for the Confederacy?
Clearly you're missing the point. If Mr. McKeon wants plaques or something along those lines placed with monuments, then which MODERN person is going to construct and place those? Who is going to decide what words are used? Is this true for all monuments or just Confederate monuments? A lot of questions that needs some answering.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Clearly you're missing the point. If Mr. McKeon wants plaques or something along those lines placed with monuments, then which MODERN person is going to construct and place those? Who is going to decide what words are used? Is this true for all monuments or just Confederate monuments? A lot of questions that needs some answering.

We will.

We have no choice as we are the generation left with this issue by our ancestors.

DanF has give a great starting point, the actual paper trail left by the Confederacy.

All that can read should look at those documents and see what was actually said.

That's our starting point.

Unionblue

huskerblitz

Major
We will.

We have no choice as we are the generation left with this issue by our ancestors.

DanF has give a great starting point, the actual paper trail left by the Confederacy.

All that can read should look at those documents and see what was actually said.

That's our starting point.

Unionblue
With all due respect, and as someone who has sat through various meetings and conferences debating what history standards should be taught and what should or should not be included and with every group wanting to dictate how standards are written......good luck with that. Because you know just as well as I history is never that simple or that easy. And there will be a fight over what would be placed on any interpretive plaque.