Remington barrel marking help needed

Interesting my Remington has the NEW MODEL to the right of the address and not below it. Serial #22803. Picked it up many years ago for about $700. I think you could of gotten a better one for just a few hundred more especially at auction.
Remington.jpg
 
Thanks. In order to get the cylinder out I have to remove the arbor pin. I'll have to disassemble it and try to drive it out gently from the hammer end it sounds like.

Regardless of its commonality (a New Model and not the less numerous "Old") and "issues" I feel it's worth what I paid and, once the arbor pin is corrected, will make a solid example of the staple Civil War sidearm.
 
Interesting my Remington has the NEW MODEL to the right of the address and not below it. Serial #22803. Picked it up many years ago for about $700. I think you could of gotten a better one for just a few hundred more especially at auction.View attachment 532539
I have a nice Beals Navy already. This one was a "take a chance" purchase. Unfortunately it's not always a home run. Still, it's fine for being all in at $450.
 
I'm still confused by the 6-digit serial number. Would an "old model" have such a high serial number (which. If I looked it up correctly, dates to November 1864)??

Any ideas? This is the main thing that gave me pause…the high serial number but the lack of any "New Model" designation on the barrel stamping.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top