Reconstruction under Lincoln

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Many people believed that if Lincoln had lived, reconstruction would have went soother. We of course can never know for sure. So why should I believe reconstruction would have been easier under Lincoln?

In fact some of the concepts of the reconstruction were simular to Lincoln's view. How would have Lincoln responded to the KKK?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
There may have been much too much bitter hatred and resentment against Abe Lincoln, for him to have successfully guided our nation after the war. A proverb of wisdom states, 'Man can never know what it is he misses.' So a real world cannot be built on what could have been, but only on possibilities. Probably the anguish of making people intimate with remorse, by some saying, "Oh, you could have had..."
As far as KKK, I do believe Lincoln was quicker to act upon decisions, and more able to control the powers of representation. Eventually it would be the end of one or the other, if things had progressed to that point. We will never know for sure due to Booth.
Lubliner.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
I am uncertain of how many Southerners hated Lincoln, but it had to be more than a few. I would predict that there was nothing Lincoln could have done that made all or even most Southerners happy. The Southern states were not going to get all that much form Lincoln. Slavery was going to end with or without Lincoln so any hope of continuing slavery for another 50 years or even 10 years was not going to happen. After winning the war Lincoln would not consider allowing the Southern states to form a new nation.

So what could have Lincoln offered? Perhaps some type of payment for freeing the slaves? That seems doubtful. Letting them form new governments before 10% took an oath to follow the Constitution? That was Lincoln's idea. Lincoln believed some blacks should have the right to vote.

wbull1

Sergeant
Lincoln supported the 40 acres plan developed by Sherman and Stanton. He responded to Confederate treatment of Union black POWs by promising the same thing would be done in response to Confederate POWs. I believe there would have been better opportunities for former slaves to own their own land, making restoring the old order with tenant farmers in the place of slaves harder to accomplish. Lincoln had black troops enter Richmond after its surrender. Maybe there would have been more bitterness from whites or maybe the message - things have changed, get used to it - would have sunk in. He would have opposed those in the north who wanted to extract revenge. Who knows? He was the best politician of the time.

The south blamed Lincoln for the war. That is where their loss would be focused after the fact. He represented an icon of tyranny against the southern way of life. If he had been left to fulfill his second term, I believe the stringency of having the governments formed by people that did not rebel and hold high rank in the southern army would have been promulgated. As it was, after he died many prominent men of the old 'class order' gained sway in politics. Can I find excuse for Mosby being made a Government ambassador to a foreign power?
Lubliner.

archieclement

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Personally I think he would have resisted attaching civil rights to reconstruction, I think he would have seen they were opposed and putting them together, one was bound to fail. Whether he could have kept the radicals in line though, who knows.

For reconstruction, bringing the nation back to one, by necessity would require white former confederates being actively involved as they were still the majority of the south.

Pushing civil rights to fast alienated the very people one needed to make reconstruction succeed.

He wanted to let them up easy, because their participation would be required to heal the nation, Personally dont think he wanted a military state with occupation.

An important thing to remember about Lincoln is he wasnt a ideologue, he was more then willing to compromise a belief in one thing to achieve something else

Last edited:
Personally I think he would have resisted attaching civil rights to reconstruction, I think he would have seen they were opposed and putting them together, one was bound to fail. Whether he could have kept the radicals in line though, who knows.

For reconstruction, bringing the nation back to one, by necessity would require white former confederates being actively involved as they were still the majority of the south.

Pushing civil rights to fast alienated the very people one needed to make reconstruction succeed.

He wanted to let them up easy, because their participation would be required to heal the nation, Personally dont think he wanted a military state with occupation.
The point has been made that no one truly knows what Lincoln's plans were. I am not satisfied it is so. Lincoln was predictable; he was a very picky man when he chose people for office, and he had briefed congress already on his hopes. But Lincoln had been stonewalled by the southern peace commissioners, who obviously disagreed entirely with all civil rights issues. And Lincoln had a time somewhere in his plans to ameliorate the abolitionist desires, but had not decided when. Just as the EP was set forth based upon plans concurrent to the pulse of the nation, Lincoln would have known when to put forth his plans. That is the truth we never know.
Lubliner.

No matter who would have been in charge, the path was going to be rough. Bitterness was not going to go away in any short term situation. Heck we still have some today. Accepting all as equals is a generational occurrence. Rebuilding and retooling the economy, another hurdle to overcome. As to the KKK I believe Lincoln would have used a heavy hand in crushing it. We will never know except as armchair quarterbacks.

I am uncertain of how many Southerners hated Lincoln, but it had to be more than a few. I would predict that there was nothing Lincoln could have done that made all or even most Southerners happy. The Southern states were not going to get all that much form Lincoln. Slavery was going to end with or without Lincoln so any hope of continuing slavery for another 50 years or even 10 years was not going to happen. After winning the war Lincoln would not consider allowing the Southern states to form a new nation.

So what could have Lincoln offered? Perhaps some type of payment for freeing the slaves? That seems doubtful. Letting them form new governments before 10% took an oath to follow the Constitution? That was Lincoln's idea. Lincoln believed some blacks should have the right to vote.
Lincoln had a 4 step plan but the Radical Republicans would have been hard for him to work with.

The point has been made that no one truly knows what Lincoln's plans were. I am not satisfied it is so. Lincoln was predictable; he was a very picky man when he chose people for office, and he had briefed congress already on his hopes. But Lincoln had been stonewalled by the southern peace commissioners, who obviously disagreed entirely with all civil rights issues. And Lincoln had a time somewhere in his plans to ameliorate the abolitionist desires, but had not decided when. Just as the EP was set forth based upon plans concurrent to the pulse of the nation, Lincoln would have known when to put forth his plans. That is the truth we never know.
Lubliner.
Lincoln had a 4 step plan.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Can you define what a " Radical Republican" is?
Leftyhunter
Definition of radical
a: very different from the usual or traditional: extreme
b: favoring extreme changes in existing views, habits, conditions, or institutions
c: associated with political views, practices, and policies of extreme change
d: advocating extreme measures to retain or restore a political state of affairs the radical right
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/radical

Definition of Republican
(Entry 1 of 3)
1: one that favors or supports a republican form of government
2 capitalized
a: a member of a political party advocating republicanism
b: a member of the Democratic-Republican party or of the Republican party of the U.S.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/republican

My definition of Radical Republican: A political extremist during the 1860s and 1870s.

archieclement

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
As to the KKK I believe Lincoln would have used a heavy hand in crushing it
Would there have been a KKK under Lincoln?

At the time of his death his plan was the south to elect white governments, pass and ratify the 13th amendment and the southern states become equals again at the table having a active role in how reconstruction proceeds. If his plan had been carried out as intended, why would there even have been a rapid growth of the KKK?

Including them, rather then alienating them, wouldn't have fostered much resistance……...

Last edited:

archieclement

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
I sure can not see why the KKK would not have formed under a Lincoln reconstruction.
How so? If Lincolns plan had been carried out, and the south had become active participants in reconstruction by passing the 13th, the 14th and 15th dont pass, least not to far later down the road....With the south being equal partners again, the votes wouldn't be there for passage.

The KKK seemed to be more a response to the 14th and 15th then the 13th...…..why it doesn't form until 1866.

As unpopular as it is, tend to think Lincoln was far sighted, he knew he needed the majority of the south, not just the minority, he wasnt going to scrap the democratic principles of majority rule for an endless military occupation to try to sustain a minority rule IMO.

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)