Recommendations on 7th Wisconsin primary sources?

JeffFromSyracuse

Sergeant
I'm working on a treatment of a late 1863 skirmish that involved the 7th Wisconsin. I've found writings by other Iron Brigade units (Rufus Dawes' work was especially helpful), but I haven't found anything specifically on the 7th.

Any advice?

The Huckleberries are a tough subject. They didn´t talk about themselves much, and no one wrote their regimental history during the historical period. Mostly they get mentioned in other sources. The diary of Frederick Ray is a great resource. As mentioned, Lance Herdegen is the man to contact. He´s forgotten more about the Iron Brigade than the rest of us will ever know, and has written and edited a number of works. If you search him on amazon, you´ll hit all of them, including the Ray diary.

You might try:

-Diary of Corporal Horace Currier, Company I, 7th Wisconsin, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison.

-Diary of Elisha Dean of Columbia County, Company B, 7th Wisconsin, microfiche, State Historical Society of Wisconsin, Division of Archives and Manuscripts. Dean served as an ambulance driver.

-Wisconsin in the War of the Rebellion, by Wm. DeLoss Love, Chicago: Church and Goodman, Publishers, 1866. It may contain some material of interest. In it I found an item on the 7th at Gettysburg.

Thanks! I remember his presentation from last year. Does he have a user name on this site?
I don't know if he's a member here, but I know he publishes through Savas Beatie. You could probably email them and see if they can forward your email to him. I also know that he does a lot with the Civil War museum in Kenosha, Wisconsin. You could probably reach out to the folks there as well.

Back