Rebel Yell

yes the rebel yell or as Shelby foot would say a cross between a foxhound yet and a banshee scream. You can't do it except at run and I could not do it with a mouth full of false teeth and a stomach full of food. As you can see I have seen way too much of Ken Burns and Shelby Foote. Rest in peace a true southern gentleman.

Rare Footage of Civil War Veterans Doing the Rebel Yell

This is the first man up in the clip to give the yell.

james_dinkins_abt_1860.jpg

James Dinkins, Jr : 18 years old. Enlisted and mustered on 5/1/1861 as a Private, along with his 36 year-old father into "C" Co. MS 18th Infantry. On 8/1/1862 he was commissioned into "C" Co. MS 18th Cavalry. Born 4/18/1845 in Canton, Madison Co, MS. Went to NC Military Institute. After the War he lived in Memphis, TN.

Last edited:
I always thought it was interesting that it seems that the yell was composed of separate "yeeeee"s as opposed to one long quavering yell

I heard an audio clip somewhere where a guy took the audio from this clip and doctored it to make it sound like it was hundreds of guys advancing toward the listener. It sounded creepy and definitely produced a "corkscrew sensation up the back"

I have always enjoyed this video and the Gen's explanation

Back