Question regarding C&D Jarnagin

JimW

Private
I have some of their leather items, and am very happy with them, strictly as display items.

I am considering making a display that will require a Federal Kepi and shell jacket in Cavalry NCO style (no specific company or regiment).

The items on their website look good to me; but I imagine folks in this forum will have far better knowledge than I do.

Are their reproductions good?

I have some of their leather items, and am very happy with them, strictly as display items.

I am considering making a display that will require a Federal Kepi and shell jacket in Cavalry NCO style (no specific company or regiment).

The items on their website look good to me; but I imagine folks in this forum will have far better knowledge than I do.

A lot depends upon exactly what you're looking at. Personally, I prefer Regimental QM for their Campaigner Corner as it is of a much beter historical accuracy. If it's just for display and you're not going to wear or display them in a museum they're fine. But you'll need a Forage cap instead of a Kepi. If you're doing western Federal you're just as correct to pick up a Hardee and Sack Coat; the western Cav was the lowest on the totem pole when it came to supplies and equipment. One of my favorite CDV's is of an Iowa Cav trooper circa 1864. The way he's seated on the horse you can see he's wearing brogans w/ hobnails, a standard Infantry Sack Coat, tortured Hardee hat armed with a Sharps Carbine. No pistol or sabre. Other than the horse and carbine he could have passed for any western infantryman.

I really wish I could find that picture.

For a kepi there is no better than Greg Starbuck, you can find him at kepination on Facebook. As far as a jacket it depends on what you want to spend and if you want something right away. I haven't seen any recent Jarnigan garments lately. In the past they weren't bad but not top of the line. If you want to be completely authentic you'll want something with the right materials and hand stitched button holes. I'd check out Andrew Kasmar at Beauregards Tailor for something top notch. If you want a plain Federal fatigue blouse Wambaugh and White. They will be more $$ and a long wait but in the long run they are night and day compared to off the rack sutler stuff.

Jarnigan is good but we also use C&C Sutlery in Idaho as well and have been very very pleased with them

Thanks for the replies; I did misspeak re a Kepi, I meant a forage cap.

So I am clear; who is the recommendation for the Shell Jacket?

Thanks for the replies; I did misspeak re a Kepi, I meant a forage cap.

So I am clear; who is the recommendation for the
Are you looking for a shell jacket or fatigue blouse (sack coat) ? For a great fatigue blouse go to Wambaugh and White. If you want a shell jacket you may want to try Andrew Kasmar at Beauregards Tailor on Facebook.

141985811_118732163448545_8109146469904561349_n.jpg

I want to replicate this grouping. I have the reproduction leather already, but need the shell jacket.

Back