Uniforms Question on great coats

3rdTennCo.C

Private
Didnt know if I should have posted this in thebreenactor section or here in uniforms but I figured here would probably more knowledgeable on the subject. My question is, what type or patter did Confederate cavalry in the western theater wear? Did depot's like the columbus or mobile depot make and or issue them? Does anyone have a source or pics of any surviving ones?

I've personally found Depot made great coats to be very, very rare in the Confederate Army. There were some made, for example the Houston Depot made a very small number of them out of "imitation beaver cloth" and the head of the Depot described them as mere ordinary overcoats. I personally am not aware of Columbus or Mobile making any.

The Confederate Army had three principle sources for great coats:
1. Union camps, supplies, and pre-war stocks
2. Imported from Britain
3. Sent from home

Early in the war several States contracted for great coats, most notably in my mind Alabama, but that was short lived. The most common two variants, were several different styles made in Britain on contract, and the Union. For Union acquired ones, sky-blue kersey ones, whether the mounted double-breasted wrist length cape ones for cavalry, or the single-breasted elbow length cape infantry ones would be seen, (And with Federal buttons on them!!!! Sky-blue Federal ones with Southern buttons as "captured" is a dead wrong reenactorism!), with there being some accounts in 1864 of the Confederate Army, most notably in Georgia attempting to dye them "butternut" to avoid friendly fire, and violating the rules of war was common.

As for British ones, I recommend a reading of Fred Adolphus's exemplary research on the subject: http://adolphusconfederateuniforms.com/the-imported-british-overcoat-for-the-confederate-army.html

Good luck on your search, I know I recently made a replica of the great coat worn by a Georgia cadet late in the War, (Sherman's March) for a friend. I've never had a great coat myself, but I reckon the best one to fit in an impression would be a Union one for Union and Confederate use, and a citizen one as well if you want one that isn't a Yank one or just want to be different but correct. Next time I order cloth I hope to make myself one.

At the Battle of Pilot knob, Missouri, September 26 and 27, 1864, most of the Confederate cavalry lacked greatcoats and wore their blankets around their shoulders like shawls, secured by two corners tied in the front. The Federal cavalry, who had not yet been issued their greatcoats for the winter, unwittingly adopted the same practice and were almost fired on by their own infantry.

Would they have dyed any union coats? I believe I read somewhere that Forrest's and other western commands, ordered men to dye captured garments (especially/primarily coats and great coats) black or a deep bluish grey or they would be confiscated.

It certainly would have advisable to dye Union coats. After the Battle of Mine Creek, Kansas, during Price's 1864 Missouri raid, a number of Confederate prisoners were executed for wearing captured Union uniforms.

Oct. 14, 1864:

Our regiment captured a fine lot of army overcoats at Tunnel Hill this morning. We supplied ourselves and then burnt the rest….Nearly all of our Southern women have learned how to dye the blue Yankee clothing for our soldiers, and they make it a pretty brown color.
William E. Sloan, Co.D, 5th Tennessee Cav.

Kevin Dally

At the Battle of Pilot knob, Missouri, September 26 and 27, 1864, most of the Confederate cavalry lacked greatcoats and wore their blankets around their shoulders like shawls, secured by two corners tied in the front. The Federal cavalry, who had not yet been issued their greatcoats for the winter, unwittingly adopted the same practice and were almost fired on by their own infantry.

I seem to recall reading of an incident with Shelby's brigade around 1864 capturing a good supply of Federal greatcoats at some point. Specifically an incident with his brigade coming into a Union controlled town and the garrison thinking they were Federals till it was to late. Also the garrison's commander having a conversation with Shelby about rebels before his arrest. (hard to call it a capture)

Thanks for the info guys, figured about the captured and dyed union coats, but it does indeed seem that depot issued/made coats were rare/non existent

It certainly would have advisable to dye Union coats. After the Battle of Mine Creek, Kansas, during Price's 1864 Missouri raid, a number of Confederate prisoners were executed for wearing captured Union uniforms.
Was this accidental somehow? Or was it intentional to execute them, why not again order them to dye it, ditch it or it will be confiscated?

To a large degree revenge was a motive in the executions at Mine Creek. Some Federals involved were Kansans. Following the long years of "border war" with pro-slavery Missourians they were more than happy to strictly apply the rules of war and execute enemies "deceitfully" wearing the wrong uniform. Some were Union Missourians, taking revenge for guerrilla attacks in Missouri, were Union orders were to execute all guerrillas captured wearing Federal clothing. No one is sure how many were executed at Mine Creek before order was restored.

Back