Muzzleldrs Progressive Depth: Important?

Spunk Puppy

Private
Been thinking about picking up either a 2 Band or 3 Band Pedersoli Enfield. I understand for the originals, the first 3 Bands did NOT have progressive depth rifling. So, technically, it could be argued the Pedersoli 3 band is “historically correct” with its rifling?

Just wondering from an accuracy and performance standpoint if prog. depth rifling is important for a minie rifle.

Thoughts?

Been thinking about picking up either a 2 Band or 3 Band Pedersoli Enfield. I understand for the originals, the first 3 Bands did NOT have progressive depth rifling. So, technically, it could be argued the Pedersoli 3 band is “historically correct” with its rifling?

Just wondering from an accuracy and performance standpoint if prog. depth rifling is important for a minie rifle.

Thoughts?
Look at the depth of the rifling in those early non-progressive depth Enfields. I have read they were like 14 thousandths of an inch deep. Most of your repro's are only 5 thousandths of an inch deep throughout the barrel.

I'd say that progressive depth rifling is much better at reducing flame-cutting of a Minie Bullet, and more forgiving of bullet diameter. One reason so many adopted the progressive depth system, it simply works better.

I have shot a friends 3-band Enfield, with Minies sized .577", we did rather well at the range. https://civilwartalk.com/threads/shooting-a-new-pedersoli-1853-enfield.133629/#post-1520408

For what you pay for a Pedersoli, they SHOULD have progressive depth rifling. They ARE very nice!

Kevin Dally

I would say for most shooters, the bigger issue on reproductions is the sights...and also I agree, the Pedersoli is well made and very nice. Progressive depth rifling would be an improvement, but they seem to shoot very well in the current configuration.

Back