Period Preserving Fruit

Shannon Wolf

Corporal
I hope I'm doing this right. I was hunting for Authentic preserving methods and stumbled across this and a tiny treasure trove of recipes. It's from a compilation of recipes shared through period newspapers. It also has "Recipes" for caring for clothes in there!

DAILY CHRONICLE & SENTINEL [AUGUSTA, GA], July 24, 1860, p. 2, c. 3

Preserving Fruit.--As many of our readers will soon be engaged in preserving fruit, we

publish the following recipe, which is furnished the Mobile Tribune by a correspondent:

Any glass jar, with a mouth large enough to admit the fruit, will answer the purpose.

Corks to fit may be procured at any of the drug stores. Select the most solid ones, or those least

porous. When the fruit is properly cooked, fill up the jars with it and the syrup, and let them

stand fifteen minutes. By that time the fruit will settle down in the jars. Then fill up the jar with

hot syrup, and put in the cork tightly and seal it over with a composition of one-third beeswax

and two-thirds rosin, melted together and applied with a small mop. After the jars have cooled,

fill up all the air holes that may be seen with more of the composition and put away the jars for

use when wanted. A light syrup will answer, as there is no danger of fermentation if properly

sealed. Crushed sugar makes the best syrup and is the cheaper in reality. Jars made for this

purpose, with good corks in them, may be procured at the crockery stores. The jars should be

tempered to prevent cracking, by putting into each but a small quantity of hot syrup at first. A

small blister can be seen on the sealing wherever any air has escaped.

Source:
https://scholarworks.uttyler.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1012&context=cw_newstopics

Back