Real or Faux? Possible CS canteen identification...

Hi all!
Purchased much of a very good collection from an avid collector in my area. He was a well respected lawyer, and had collected some very nice items through the years. In one of the boxes I purchased, it included this canteen. I suspect it is fake because I know how rare this style of canteen is, but neither the known authentic, and subsequently the known reproductions, have the CS on just one side. The size is also closer to the known originals than the reproductions. I know that sometimes even avid collectors get duped and perhaps this was the case with him, so before I let my son play pretend with it, I would like some opinions!

1565832268379659062461.jpg

1565832365347521139806.jpg

1565832393790-541935756.jpg

1565832453783634167402.jpg

1565832473189952448737.jpg

1565832568171444745837.jpg

Its very hard to make a judgement from photos but the pattern, spout and strapping looks correct. Could you post a photo of the spout? BTW NICE

1565833222585.png

That's a pretty amazing piece, thanks for sharing it. I can't confirm if it is authentic or a reproduction, I will leave that to more capable members but I wonder if the 1977 Middle Tn inscription is when and where it was dug? It looks to be in good shape for a dug relic but it also looks like somebody put some type of coating, maybe a rust inhibitor, on it. Pretty neat canteen either way.

Hi all!
Purchased much of a very good collection from an avid collector in my area. He was a well respected lawyer, and had collected some very nice items through the years. In one of the boxes I purchased, it included this canteen. I suspect it is fake because I know how rare this style of canteen is, but neither the known authentic, and subsequently the known reproductions, have the CS on just one side. The size is also closer to the known originals than the reproductions. I know that sometimes even avid collectors get duped and perhaps this was the case with him, so before I let my son play pretend with it, I would like some opinions!

View attachment 320826

View attachment 320827

View attachment 320828

View attachment 320829

View attachment 320830

View attachment 320831
Are you in Virginia and was the lawyer's name Sam?

That's a pretty amazing piece, thanks for sharing it. I can't confirm if it is authentic or a reproduction, I will leave that to more capable members but I wonder if the 1977 Middle Tn inscription is when and where it was dug? It looks to be in good shape for a dug relic but it also looks like somebody put some type of coating, maybe a rust inhibitor, on it. Pretty neat canteen either way.
Wish I knew for certain if the inscription meant that's where he dug it or where he purchased it. He had a lot of relics he dug throughout the years. LOTS of bullets in wood, etc. It definitely has some sort of coating on it, and lots of holes!

Well, a little more development. I called jarnigan in MS, and they could not find the measurement of the original, but they did suggest I buy a copy of "Civil War Canteens" by Stephen sylva, as the original is in there. Received it in the mail today, and it looks as if everything checks out! Great news, and a great resource book to boot!

1566251334806-1498483380.jpg

That style of canteen was purportedly made in New Orleans. I believe they are quite rare with maybe four known to have survived, however yours appears to be an old reproduction by Jarnagin. If you look at yours compared to the images on the Jarnagin catalog you'll see the similarities in the shape of the round "boss" in the center of the face (originals appear to have much more sloped sides). The strap brackets on both yours and the Jarnagin example have the folded long edges placed away from the canteen, while the original canteens have them hidden and facing towards the canteen.

Here is a third original example housed at the Wisconsin Veteran's Museum.
k1971334.jpg

Back