Possible Confederate Photograph?

Johnny_Reb_1865

Sergeant

Screenshot_20200625-224233~01.png

Thoughts on this?

I had the same reaction @JPK Huson 1863 did - what's with the hats? Caps make sense but a lot of bowler style hats that don't look CW era to me. The whole attitude of the group is odd - they are in position as if to take a posed picture but clearly not posing. Are where are they? No background to speak of. It reminds me of pictures taken on cliff tops.

I had the same reaction @JPK Huson 1863 did - what's with the hats? Caps make sense but a lot of bowler style hats that don't look CW era to me. The whole attitude of the group is odd - they are in position as if to take a posed picture but clearly not posing. Are where are they? No background to speak of. It reminds me of pictures taken on cliff tops.
It does look strange, but the men are positioned on a CW artillery piece -- complete with sponge rammer. Odd to have that on a non-operating gun.

The body language & variety of hats has a Western Theater look to it. Where did it come from? The image has been manipulated, there are no shadows on the ground or background. That is curious in and of itself. The officer leaning against the wheel has shoulder boards, so is Union.

Ah ha, thank you! Those hats just looked so all over the place, seemed as if it couldn't be a unit of anything! Think the slouch hat to the left, man sitting bugged me because there's a ' Mounty ' shape, probably just got squished. Like @lupaglupa said, swear there's a bowler in there- were regulations less by 1864 or were 100 day units not as well outfitted?

Thanks very much for the ID!

Ah ha, thank you! Those hats just looked so all over the place, seemed as if it couldn't be a unit of anything! Think the slouch hat to the left, man sitting bugged me because there's a ' Mounty ' shape, probably just got squished. Like @lupaglupa said, swear there's a bowler in there- were regulations less by 1864 or were 100 day units not as well outfitted?

Thanks very much for the ID!
There were regulations but in the field comfort and practicality usually won out. A good fitting slouch hat is 1000 times more comfortable in the field. Caps offer 0 protection from the elements.

Back