Perryville Perryville

Ethan S.

First Sergeant
I'm going to Perryville soon (90% chance), and I'd like to know where to go. Any cool photo stops? Antique shops with relics? Any recommendations? I'd love to go there, and I'll be knocking on a farmers door or two for permission to detect for an hour.

I'm going to Perryville soon (90% chance), and I'd like to know where to go. Any cool photo stops? Antique shops with relics? Any recommendations? I'd love to go there, and I'll be knocking on a farmers door or two for permission to detect for an hour.
Read up on the battle before you go and it will help a great deal in your understanding of the battle. Also, you'll be rather proud of what your state has done to preserve and display the battlefield and if you get over towards Bardstown, one of the largest collections of Civil War relics is housed there.

I happened to bump into one of the employees--an older gentleman---and asked for directions and before long I had a complete synopsis of the battle and a plan for my tour. That battlefield is easy to tour and to understand.
I need to see if I kept my notes about the hotel and restaurants. I stayed at Harrodsburg and there is an early fort there in town.

I took a day's drive up to Frankfort to see the Kentucky Military History Museum. There you can see one of only 3 or 4 examples of the breech-loading Williams Gun cannon.
WmGun.JPG

If all goes as promised, we'll be going to Perryville on Tuesday, which also happens to be the 157th Anniversary of the battle. In a touch of irony, the battlefield will be exactly like it was that day the battle occurred. No rain for over a month, and their is not much at all in the creeks, the fields are planted with native grasses, and the battlefield itself is one of the best preserved battlefields in the country. It should be some good conditions for photographs!

I also plan on detecting a portion of Doctors Creek (a long way away from the park, on private property) if we have time.

Does anybody know of any antique shops in the area that has relics from Perryville? I'd like to take one souvenir home with me.

I am taking two friends there on the 10th so we will just pass each other. I do not know of much of anything in Perryville; but redbob is spot on with a stop at Bardstown. That museum is a treasure. There are downloadable maps of the hiking trails at the Perryville Park site. The Battlefield trust has an excellent map of the park and the last portion they are trying to save. Depending on how deep in the weeds (literally) you want to go the Park gift shop has an excellent series of maps for sale, Battle of Perryville Movement Maps compiled by former park historian Kurt Holman. He traces the action in 15 minute slices - very helpful. Dixie Rifles is also spot on with the Frankfort military history museum if you have the time. I am hoping for much cooler weather than we have gotten in SW Ohio and, if its not asking too much, some rain. Two of the three of us spent time in Vietnamese monsoons so I'd be good with it, Hope your trip is a real good time. H

My son lives in Louisville. They have had very hot weather for Ky. They need rain badly. Also those area of Ky. are on burn ban. This includes Perryville area. So can have no camping.

We need rain here , where I live too. Haven't had any in more than a month. That's good if I want to walk around and get as-was shots of Doctors Creek, or Wilsons.

There will be no sounds of cannons booming over the hills of Perryville Battlefield this weekend. And no soldiers will be camped out bringing Civil War history to life during the annual Battle of Perryville Commemoration, which had been scheduled for Oct. 5-6.
It’s the first time in nearly 50 years the commemoration will not feature cannons, black powder guns and living history camp sites due to those events being cancelled by the Kentucky Department of Parks because of abnormally dry weather conditions causing fire hazards.
This was posted by @Gettmore today . Just be informed. @Ethan S.

Back