Period appropriate bugle

Scotisle

Cadet
Hi there,

I am teaching the Civil War to 11/12 graders next fall. The US Army is coming to teach them how to line up and march, and our school band is giving us a flute (fife) and drum. They will form lines and other formations from the Civil War.

However the band doesn't have a bugle. I am overwhelmed by the pattern 1855, Chinese, and wall mounted bugles.

This is a one-off event; I will probably do this again in two years (courses are cyclical) I am looking for a bugle that would look and sound (mostly sound) like an authentic Civil War bugle. From my research, I think it's mostly in the key of C.

I am not a musician and I don't play one on TV, so I'm very blind here. Also I've never reenacted Civil War so I just joined the forum to post this question.

I would love to get some help finding a bugle that would look and sound like the ones used in the Civil War. I have a budget of about $50 give-or-take to get a bugle. Anyone willing to make suggestions on what to get, or burst my bubble and tell me I can't do this for $50? The music dept. went with the professional instrument that doesn't even look like a Civil War bugle for $750, which is way way out of my budget.

Thanks so much!

Thanks, we are an independent school, so we do not have access or we already exhausted those options.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I am teaching the Civil War to 11/12 graders next fall. The US Army is coming to teach them how to line up and march, and our school band is giving us a flute (fife) and drum. They will form lines and other formations from the Civil War.

However the band doesn't have a bugle. I am overwhelmed by the pattern 1855, Chinese, and wall mounted bugles.

This is a one-off event; I will probably do this again in two years (courses are cyclical) I am looking for a bugle that would look and sound (mostly sound) like an authentic Civil War bugle. From my research, I think it's mostly in the key of C.

I am not a musician and I don't play one on TV, so I'm very blind here. Also I've never reenacted Civil War so I just joined the forum to post this question.

I would love to get some help finding a bugle that would look and sound like the ones used in the Civil War. I have a budget of about $50 give-or-take to get a bugle. Anyone willing to make suggestions on what to get, or burst my bubble and tell me I can't do this for $50? The music dept. went with the professional instrument that doesn't even look like a Civil War bugle for $750, which is way way out of my budget.

Thanks so much!
Welcome aboard, @Scotisle . Hope you find your bugle.

Best of luck with your teaching project. I hope you'll check back in and let us know how it goes/how it went.

Yes. I haven't looked in some time but I know they still sell musical pieces. I believe they used to sell 2-3 different models ranging from around $50-100 range.

Thanks. They are selling an 1855 pattern bugle. My understanding, which is rather limited, is that the 1855 pattern bugle wasn't used in the Civil War, as it was British. But I'll get that one as it's the right price. Thanks for pointing me to this website.

Back