Pension question

Cavalier

2nd Lieutenant
If an adult Union soldier died as a prisoner of war and was never married or had children it has been my assumption there would be no pension benefits to anyone, (living parents or siblings). Is that correct?

Thanks, John

The parents could apply for a pension - I wrote an article some years ago about Charles Capron, who served in the 89th Illinois Infantry. He died in 1865 on occupation duty in Texas, and he was unmarried and had no children. Some years after his death his mother applied for a pension based on his service.

If an adult Union soldier died as a prisoner of war and was never married or had children it has been my assumption there would be no pension benefits to anyone, (living parents or siblings). Is that correct?

Thanks, John

Thanks, John
I have been working on local Civil War soldiers for years now 😒. No, that's not correct. I have found several cases in which parents (usually the mother) have been awarded benefits.

A lot of East TN Union pension claims are a hoot. They want it for injuries they had while in the Confederate Army, or for getting shot after the war was over or they try to impersonate someone else. One of my favorite is Lt. James Madison Giles...alleged to be related to Virginia Giles family..anyway he was with some Confederate unit and deserted or was booted out. He join the 3rd TN Mounted Infantry USA. He was commisoned as a Ist. Lieutenant. However he got in a gunfight with his Company Commander...James L J Pearson
Giles was shot in the leg and Captain Pearson killed. Giles took french leave but was caught. But it being East TN he was acquitted , self defense. After the war he filed for a pension on his bad leg. Lt. Clapp the investigating officer informed him that they gave pensions for wounds received fighting the enemy not their commanding officer or words to that effect. :smile:

My 4x g-grandfather received $8/month for the death of his unmarried son in the war. When he died, his wife received the pension until her death.

A lot of East TN Union pension claims are a hoot. They want it for injuries they had while in the Confederate Army, or for getting shot after the war was over or they try to impersonate someone else. One of my favorite is Lt. James Madison Giles...alleged to be related to Virginia Giles family..anyway he was with some Confederate unit and deserted or was booted out. He join the 3rd TN Mounted Infantry USA. He was commisoned as a Ist. Lieutenant. However he got in a gunfight with his Company Commander...James L J Pearson
Giles was shot in the leg and Captain Pearson killed. Giles took french leave but was caught. But it being East TN he was acquitted , self defense. After the war he filed for a pension on his bad leg. Lt. Clapp the investigating officer informed him that they gave pensions for wounds received fighting the enemy not their commanding officer or words to that effect. :smile:
This made me laugh harder than is probably strictly civilized. :smile:

Was the pension ever awarded?

In 1867 Charles Capron's parents, Shepherd and Mary Capron, pulled up stakes and headed west to Kansas to make a new start. The couple started a farm, but they were never very successful, and by the early 1880’s the family’s financial situation was so desperate that they were forced to seek a Mother’s Pension based on Charles’ wartime service. In one of their pension applications a neighbor testified:

I first knew Shepard Capron in 1871 that was my first acquaintance the farm he lives on is worth as near as I can judge 500 or 600 dollars. They have not made enough to cover his exemption, 200 dollars. They have not made enough to pay their expenses they are both old and feeble past seventy years, I have always found them both very truthful and honorable the old man is very sick now their income is very limited ever since I knew them they tell me their son that died in the Army was their main support and I believe it. I also believe they are entitled to their pension claim that they are justly entitled to it, as they are both old and feeble.
Mary continued making pension applications until her death on February 22, 1897; afterwards Shepherd began filing claims in his own name. There is no indication in the mass of paperwork that they ever received a dime.

Perhaps the best epitaph for Charles Capron comes from a speech given by Colonel Charles T. Hotchkiss, commander of the 89th Illinois. He said of his regiment, “Our History is written on the head-boards of rudely-made graves from Stone River to Atlanta. Such a record we feel proud of.”

There was one grave even further away than Colonel Hotchkiss realized – a small marble marker in the San Antonio National Cemetery with the simple inscription, “Chas. Capron, Ill.
san-antonio-national-cemetery-2.jpg
San Antonio National Cemetery

This made me laugh harder than is probably strictly civilized. :smile:
Zella, after the war an ex Confederate named Boyd got possession of a muster roll of a TN National Guard unit (Union). The unit had pretty much been decimated by the Confederates during the war. Anyway he was filing for pensions under deceased members names. Using ex Confederates and Unionist to help him out. However he got caught. His friends broke him out of jail and faked his death with a recently deceased cadaver by setting it on fire. He escaped to Canada but returned to the country and was caught. After doing a little time he prospered fairly well. Years later he got in a argument with one of his relatives who shot him dead.

They asked one of his nephews if he was going to his uncle's funeral. He said "No thanks, I went the first time he died."

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question! I was not sure if that was the case of not.

John

Back