One Man's Opinion

tomh

Corporal
Joined
Feb 20, 2005
Location
Gettysburg, PA
Folks,

Follow this link for a remarkable look into one man's experience in the waning days of the war. Julius Franklin Howell, a corporal in the 24th Virginia Cavalry, made the recording on a wax cylinder recorder and recounts his experience and capture in 1865. While a prisoner at Lookout Point he becomes aware of the assasination of Lincoln and his comments reflect the common soldier's view of the former president.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=84525&ran=187608

Simply one of the most remarkable first person accounts that I have ever heard.

TomH
 
Tom, that's awesome. It's the first and only 1st person account from any Civil War soldier that I've ever heard. I didn't know that there were any recordings in existence.
Mr. Howells memory was a little hazy on how he lost his horse, but very sharp when he recalled the flags at half-mast. Thank you for posting this link to a living piece of Civil War history.

Terry
 
Very cool indeed. I wonder how I have missed this all these years. I'd like to hear other recordings of him. Earlier experiences. I can feel myself sitting on the porch steps listening to him.
 
On the subject of old recordings, years ago I read or heard that somewhere there is a very scratchy old recording of Abraham Lincoln's voice. Has anyone else ever heard of this...and has anyone here ever heard the recording, if in fact it exists?
 
I think I've heard that recording played by the mans very grandson, while looking at a picture of him. It was amazing. I haven't heard this one because the computer I'm using doesn't have speakers.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top