Odd occupations?

General Casey

First Sergeant
Joined
Jan 26, 2016
Location
Massachusetts
I was going through some scanned volumes of Massachusetts Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines in the Civil War and I came across one guy in the 16th Massachusetts whose occupation was listed as "comedian" well other occupations are "gentleman", "collector", "heater", and one guy listed as "Oyster Opener"

Anyone come across unusual or odd occupations of Civil War soldiers?
 
Among my grandfather's papers from after the first world war, somewhere is listed occupation as a butter cutter. I've learned that this may in fact have more than just one meaning.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top