Newbie from Oklahoma - Hello

trialsz63

Cadet
I am a descendant of several Civil War soldiers, most all of whom were Confederates, but not all of them were. I've been researching my family history since about 2002 and have gathered some of the information I've been looking for with regard to the Civil War ancestors, but I've just recently started looking into their military service in more depth. The folks I'm actively searching for now are:

Cornelius Marion Hardy - 1st Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters
Madison Falls - started out as a Confederate (TN), deserted, and then went to fight for Co. I, 11th Cavalry Regmt. KY

I have lots of questions about both of these men, and lots of questions in general about Civil War military life and other information. I'm looking forward to discussing the service of these - and other - Civil War soldiers!

Welcome from Georgia. Look around and get familiar with the place. It is sure there are folks here that either know the answers you seek or will at the very least find answers for you.

Welcome to the forum trailsz63.

welcome-header.jpg

Greetings from Texas.

I'll move your post to sub-forum, Family History and Ancestry Research where some members should be able to help you find more information about your ancestors' military service.

Respectfully,
Chellers

I have read parts of this book and have been in contact with Russell Brown. His information was very enlightening and gave me good leads toward learning more about the Georgia Sharpshooters.

Cornelius Marion Hardy, my ancestor, survived the war and went on to marry and have children and further descendants. I am one of those. I shared this information with Russell Brown because his book states that Cornelius M. Hardy died shortly after the war. His information about Cornelius is, unfortunately, similar to that of family researchers of this Hardy line. Some of this information came from various inaccurate sources that are available at the Georgia Archives and rootsweb, and were compiled years ago. Russell was very receptive to learning more about my ancestor and was very helpful. There were three men with similar names, all related, in Jasper County, GA at the same time: His uncle Cornelius P. Hardy, Cornelius Marion Hardy, "my" Cornelius M. Hardy's cousin who was also in the Civil War also, who died in the 1860's, and then there's "my" Cornelius Hardy. Russell Brown was grateful to have the information about Cornelius and his descendants.

Russell Brown was also kind enough to send me copies of transcribed letters that Cornelius sent to his family while in the war and he also let me know where he found those letters - the Georgia Archives. I had previously been unaware of the existence of any letters that Cornelius wrote so those are gems! An interesting thing that Russell pointed out, when I gave him the names of one of Cornelius' sons, my great grandfather, William Walker Hardy, was that it was possible, if not likely, that William Walker Hardy was named after William H.T. Walker under whom Cornelius fought. I thought that was a great piece of information to have and has led me to learn more about William H.T. Walker.

In my research I have used the Georgia Archives online resources to try to locate other pieces of information about Cornelius, his family and other ancestors in Georgia, but I find it difficult to get information from. Unless you know what you're looking for and what part of the website to search in, it's not likely that a general search on their website will turn up anything.

Those things aside, I have a great curiosity about the Georgia Sharpshooters as soldiers. The letters that Cornelius Hardy wrote gave good insight into his daily life, what he found important to share, and his overall outlook of the war.

Back