New Gettysburg Reenactment CANCELLED

Well that certainly doesn't improve my already low perception of Glen Beck.... I thought he professed to care about history and the war? Strange move for someone who does to pick that exact weekend to hold a big event...

Have any of you 'concerned ACW buffs' read the articles members have provided?
It appears that the decision not to have a reenactment was announced in September 2019, well before the Beck event was announced in December 2019.
Among the reasons given for cancellation were:
  • The risks and dynamics of hosting an outdoor event.
  • The reenactment hobby is decreasing with an aging demographic.
  • Visitor interest is somewhat varied because of the lack of related movies and shows, unlike in the 1990s and early 2000s.
<Mariana Veloso, "Gettysburg Anniversary Committee Doesn't Plan on Hosting Civil War Reenactment in 2020", Hanover Evening Sun, September 4, 2019.>
It appears that the Beck event had nothing to do with the decision.
Further, for those concerned about Beck's event desecrating 'holy ground', the venues do not include anything inside the Gettysburg National Military Park. Instead, they include "the Eisenhower Inn and Conference Center, South Mountain Fairgrounds, Gettysburg College and other sites".
<Alex J. Hayes, "Glenn Beck Plans Massive Gathering in Gettysburg", The Gettysburg Times, December 26, 2019.>
I am not now nor have I ever been a reenactor, so my opinion may seem somewhat insensitive to those who are reenactors. The bottom line is that interest in the ACW is dwindling. At the same time, concerns about liability and image associated with reenactments are increasing. That's not a good recipe for sustaining the hobby. Rather than blaming organizations, communities or individuals for this, it might be more appropriate to develop new and interesting ways to upgrade both interest in the ACW and the public's reenactment experience.
As to the Beck event, it may even promote interest in the ACW, as families get to experience the community and National Military Park, many for the first time.

There is a video posted there where their principal organizer Dustin Heisey announces the cancellation, talks about the Glen Beck factor, their plans for the future, etc.
It appears that Mr. Heisey's group was established as a response to the GAC cancellation.

It appears that the decision not to have a reenactment was announced in September 2019, well before the Beck event was announced in December 2019.
  • Visitor interest is somewhat varied because of the lack of related movies and shows, unlike in the 1990s and early 2000s.
<Mariana Veloso, "Gettysburg Anniversary Committee Doesn't Plan on Hosting Civil War Reenactment in 2020", Hanover Evening Sun, September 4, 2019.>
Further, for those concerned about Beck's event desecrating 'holy ground', the venues do not include anything inside the Gettysburg National Military Park. Instead, they include "the Eisenhower Inn and Conference Center, South Mountain Fairgrounds, Gettysburg College and other sites".
<Alex J. Hayes, "Glenn Beck Plans Massive Gathering in Gettysburg", The Gettysburg Times, December 26, 2019.>
I am not now nor have I ever been a reenactor, so my opinion may seem somewhat insensitive to those who are reenactors. The bottom line is that interest in the ACW is dwindling. At the same time, concerns about liability and image associated with reenactments are increasing. That's not a good recipe for sustaining the hobby. Rather than blaming organizations, communities or individuals for this, it might be more appropriate to develop new and interesting ways to upgrade both interest in the ACW and the public's reenactment experience.
As to the Beck event, it may even promote interest in the ACW, as families get to experience the community and National Military Park, many for the first time.

That was the original event. The one discussed was being planned as a replacement--and Beck did indeed muck up the works.

YES, this "BUFF" and reenactor that has participated in this event every year and has read the above info and followed this very closely. Yes, the GAC announced really shortly after last year's event they would no longer be doing it. A new group stepped in led my Mr. Hiesey, and announced they would take over and hold the event next year and all seemed on go. This was the cancellation blamed on the Beck event and although it was probably a factor I don't completely believe it was the only factor. I believe the event will return and hopefully better than ever. As I stated in a previous comment a year or two off may be a good thing as it seemed to be for Cedar Creek which I thought was really good this past year. As I've stated many times before we'll never see the numbers of the late 90s again, there's still some great events going on and still plenty of us out there to put them on. I'm really tired of the gloom and doom for the hobby by those who aren't even involved in it.

That was the original event. The one discussed was being planned as a replacement--and Beck did indeed muck up the works.
Thanks for your response.
Beck or Destination Gettysburg? From the various articles, it appears Destination Gettysburg was actively seeking a replacement event and was fortunate that Beck was seeking a historically significant site to hold an event. It also appears that Mr. Heisey's effort was just starting and as yet poorly organized. Assuming they are better organized next year, this is a win-win-win: Heisey's group gets time to put together a great plan for next year, Beck gets his event, Destination Gettysburg gets an economy-boosting, one-time event bringing as many as 30,000 people to town.

Thanks for your response.
Beck or Destination Gettysburg? From the various articles, it appears Destination Gettysburg was actively seeking a replacement event and was fortunate that Beck was seeking a historically significant site to hold an event. It also appears that Mr. Heisey's effort was just starting and as yet poorly organized. Assuming they are better organized next year, this is a win-win-win: Heisey's group gets time to put together a great plan for next year, Beck gets his event, Destination Gettysburg gets an economy-boosting, one-time event bringing as many as 30,000 people to town.

Oh, I know there is always more than one reason--and yes, they're bringing him. But...the name is drawing the crowds.

Back