Lake County’s Civil War Days to return in 2020 after outcry over cancellation

Belle Montgomery

2nd Lieutenant

UO57AVBWU5GT7GFM2MN2CUMJFE.jpg

Lake County Forest Preserves President Angelo Kyle, left, speaks during a meeting Monday morning discussing the future of Civil War Days, which he had unilaterally canceled in mid-June. (Emily K. Coleman / Lake County News-Sun)

Lake County’s Civil War Days will be returning next summer – and Lake County Forest Preserves President Angelo Kyle promised that he would “never again” unilaterally cancel another event.

“Believe me,” Kyle told the forest preserves Board of Commissioners after an hour and a half of public comments, the vast majority in favor of keeping the 28-year-old event. “I don’t ever want to go through what I’ve gone through in the past few weeks again.”

Monday’s discussion about the future of Civil War Days – marked by comments from a sometimes raucous, sometimes emotional, sometimes angry audience – caps a saga that saw the event’s cancellation by Kyle in mid-June, its revival less than 24 hours later and then re-cancellation over concerns about potential threats.

CQOQGXX5NJHMNHWOZCBU43DTLA.jpg

Nearly a hundred people gathered in the Lake County Forest Preserves' Libertyville office Monday morning for a discussion about the future of Civil Wars Days. (Emily K. Coleman / Lake County News-Sun)

RDPKGKHB7NGQFMG3Y5R4X2DGCE.jpg

Waukegan resident Larry McShane asked "just where does it stop" if the Lake County Forest Preserves Board of Commissioners chooses to permanently eliminate Civil War Days. He said he finds historical reenactments "fascinating" and has learned so much from first-person re-enactors. (Emily K. Coleman / Lake County News-Sun)

The meeting did not include a formal vote reinstating the event, but the board reached a consensus that staff should move ahead with its budgeting process for the year ahead with the event included.

Staff also suggested expanding its...
Rest of Article: https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/ct-lns-lake-county-civil-war-days-st-0806-20190805-ve2djwpcxvfd5equae6aoj7i7q-story.html

Back