Need Help Identifying Uniform

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and felt this would be a good topic. I recently bought this tintype at a antique store and wondering if anyone could identify the uniform. I'm thinking it is some type of Militia uniform. It appears to have a patent date of 1856 on it. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20201120_171000648~2.jpg

IMG_20201120_171000648~3.jpg

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I am guessing it is a militia member. It appears he is wearing a coatee (tail coat). The coatee has a standing collar with two row of trim each with a button. The coatee sleeves have two buttons on each sleeve with lace trim. His trousers had wide lace down the leg seams. It appear he has some type of fringeless epaulets on his shoulders that pass under straps to keep them in place.

If the images is from the mid to late 1850s all the above would indicate a militia man, perhaps a private. Also the image is reversed

I am guessing it is a militia member. It appears he is wearing a coatee (tail coat). The coatee has a standing collar with two row of trim each with a button. The coatee sleeves have two buttons on each sleeve with lace trim. His trousers had wide lace down the leg seams. It appear he has some type of fringeless epaulets on his shoulders that pass under straps to keep them in place.

If the images is from the mid to late 1850s all the above would indicate a militia man, perhaps a private. Also the image is reversed
Thanks for the information. The tintype is stamped "Melainotype for Neff's Patent 1856". I found out this is one of the earliest forms of tintypes and they are highly sought after. From my research this dates the image between 1856 to 1860. Is there any way to find out which state or unit he may have been in?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Thanks for the information. The tintype is stamped "Melainotype for Neff's Patent 1856". I found out this is one of the earliest forms of tintypes and they are highly sought after. From my research this dates the image between 1856 to 1860. Is there any way to find out which state or unit he may have been in?
If one could find out what state the stamped "Melainotype for Neff's Patent 1856 is from. Still unless one can match this image to another militia man wearing the same uniform it would de difficult to know what militia company he was in.

mofederal

Major
Hello and welcome to the Civil War Talk from Southeast Missouri. i am probably way off, but it could be Mexican War tail coat, coatee, similar to a pattern Army 1840. below is a similar type of coat. the shoulder straps are different, like some officer's during the Mexican War, which I guess were made to hold dress shoulder rank or scales. The Mexican War era artillery officer's coat is Sherman's.

957d2e3323a1c383ab6b3389919c4e24.png

Hello and welcome to the Civil War Talk from Southeast Missouri. i am probably way off, but it could be Mexican War tail coat, coatee, similar to a pattern Army 1840. below is a similar type of coat. the shoulder straps are different, like some officer's during the Mexican War, which I guess were made to hold dress shoulder rank or scales. The Mexican War era artillery officer's coat is Sherman's.

View attachment 382108
Thanks for the info. I have tried researching his coatee online and that is definately the most similar example I have seen. His coatee looks to be from the same period. Here is a private's uniform from 1840. The shoulder straps also appear to be a little different, but very close.
Screenshot_20201121-090638~2.png

Last edited:

steamboater

Private
If one could find out what state the stamped "Melainotype for Neff's Patent 1856 is from. Still unless one can match this image to another militia man wearing the same uniform it would de difficult to know what militia company he was in.
I have a dozen or two of the Neff's patent plates. They are uncommon, but not particularly more valuable than an unmarked one. The mark was available to all states, as plates were distributed by large supply houses. The mark was owned by a large firm of the day, similar to the not so long ago dominance of Kodak and Fuji.