Need help identifying this rifle

kaylleb

Cadet
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I could use some help identifying a rifle I have owned for the last 27 years. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have included some pics with any marks on the rifle.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 222
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 173
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 213
Hello and welcome very interesting rifle! Foreign and post war? But after that I am a loss . Someone will chime in shortly!

It appears to be a Belgian Albini-Braendlin Model 1853/67. A 1853 model muzzleloader converted to an 11mm breechloader from 1867 on. I recall reading that some were still around early in WWI for training. A contemporary of the US trapdoor.

Thank you for your replies. That solves a big mystery, as I could never really ID what it was. Now for the next question, Is there a value range for this type of rifle? I know it depends on the condition and I would have to have it appraised, but it would be nice to know an approximate value range of what it might be worth.

Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie. @Mint Julep and @tbuckley are spot on. Nice example of an early foreign trap door.

I enjoy seeing these old weapons and then reading about them after our experts chime in. I am continually amazed. Thanks for posting your rifle and welcome from Missouri.

If the rifle could talk, it would be interesting to hear about how a rifle from Belgium made its way to a small antiques store in SC 27 years ago. It must have some interesting history!

Thank you for your replies. That solves a big mystery, as I could never really ID what it was. Now for the next question, Is there a value range for this type of rifle? I know it depends on the condition and I would have to have it appraised, but it would be nice to know an approximate value range of what it might be worth.

Unfortunately, interest - and therefore value - in this sort of weapon would be minimal, since it's not U.S. and doesn't fall easily within any "important" periods like WWI or WWII.

kaylleb - Your rifle is an excellent example of the cartridge arms development in Europe in the late 19th Century. It does have value in three fields of interest, 1 - The collectors who are interested in arms development; 2 - Single shot military rifle collectors; and 3 - Military single shot black powder cartridge shooters. The majority of these European rifles did not survive WW1 and WW2 because they were destroyed by being melted down for the iron and steel they contained. An example like yours, and in the condition yours appears to be in, is difficult to find today. It does have a moderate amount of value, which is enhanced by having the correct bayonet to go with it. Personally, if we lived near one another and could do a face-to-face transfer, I wouldn't hesitate in giving you $500 for it!
J.

Thank you, everyone for your replies. I'm glad I found out more about this rifle. It's an interesting piece of history!

Back