Muzzleldrs Need help authenticating 1861 Springfield

Have an 1861 marked Springfield, wondering if anyone can help authenticate. The eagle is barely visible and there are “U” marks on the bands that secure the barrel to the stock.

B783373D-0421-4586-9417-3B05A356D098.jpeg

40D2326D-90CA-4A03-9A3B-7DF8AA6ED857.jpeg

Welcome From THE HEART Of Dixie. Looks good to me. There should be some other markings. Is there a US on the butt plate and a VP on the left hand side of the barrel at the breach, also are there any markings in the stock on the left hand side opsite the lock plate?
1569799974736.png

1569800014107.png

1569800042154.png

It looks real enough to me, but it appears to me like someone has used Naval Jelly on it to remove rust and the stock has been cleaned too. The nipple doesn't look right, the trigger guard bow has been reversed, and the rear sight has been replaced. That all sounds bad, but I'm just telling you what I see right away. It's hard to find one dated 1861 and they usually show quite a bit of wear. The U on the barrel bands is normal.

There is a “VP” marking on the left side. No US on plate but given the eagle is barely there it could’ve been faded or scrubbed off when whoever had it cleaned it. There is a carving in the opposite side but again not sure why or who did it. Sights seem different than all the ones I’ve seen online.

189CB327-0A7A-4C32-8640-4AE5F2D44565.jpeg

D7207997-BF19-4297-909C-081B39271FDD.jpeg

5D5D7C18-8982-41D3-B352-5F44500E85F3.jpeg

Are those pipe wrench marks on the barrel ?
No clue. It was gifted to me from my stepmoms father after he passed away. I believe he got it from a farmer when he was a young man, so probably 1950s. After he got it nothing was done to it further and I haven’t done anything to it either.

Have an 1861 marked Springfield, wondering if anyone can help authenticate. The eagle is barely visible and there are “U” marks on the bands that secure the barrel to the stock.

View attachment 327488

View attachment 327489
Welcome, check out the “Small Arms & Edged Weapons” Forum. Many members here are very knowledgeable on muskets, rifles, and many other firearms of the era.

Welcome to the forums from the host of the Stonewall Jackson Forum and another firearms enthusiast! Here's my somewhat overcleaned and polished M.1861 dated 1863:

DSC05394.JPG

Yep. It is the real deal. A little rough, but she's a keeper. With the rear sight being a replacement, it could be a Confederate pick up field repair or for that matter, a post war replacement. The rear sight screw hole could be stripped, hence the ad hoc rear sight. The trigger bow is an easy fix, and the nipple can be replaced. A little TLC and she should clean up pretty well. Can't see what the ramrod looks like.

It looks real enough to me, but it appears to me like someone has used Naval Jelly on it to remove rust and the stock has been cleaned too. The nipple doesn't look right, the trigger guard bow has been reversed, and the rear sight has been replaced. That all sounds bad, but I'm just telling you what I see right away. It's hard to find one dated 1861 and they usually show quite a bit of wear. The U on the barrel bands is normal.
The "U" on the barrel bands meant nothing other than the direction the bands should face, I believe the open end of the U faces the muzzle,,,but I could be 50% wrong and they face the opposite,,LOL

BELOW IS FROM THE WEB (another forum)
If it is an 1863 model, the barrel bands will be slightly rounded. The 1861 used flat steel barrel bands. The "U" on the bands you mentioned should be on the right-hand side of the stock when it is assembled properly.

Yep. It is the real deal. A little rough, but she's a keeper. With the rear sight being a replacement, it could be a Confederate pick up field repair or for that matter, a post war replacement. The rear sight screw hole could be stripped, hence the ad hoc rear sight. The trigger bow is an easy fix, and the nipple can be replaced. A little TLC and she should clean up pretty well. Can't see what the ramrod looks like.
I’ll take a pic of the ramrod a little later and post. Any ideas how to switch the trigger bow around? Is it worth doing it?

I’ll take a pic of the ramrod a little later and post. Any ideas how to switch the trigger bow around? Is it worth doing it?
As I recall - but we really need a better opinion than mine - once you remove the trigger, plate, guard and all by removing the 2 screws that hold it to the stock, there are a couple of lug nuts screwed onto threads on the guard/bow. I think (?) you can remove/unscrew them with a pair of pliers, and once that's done just turn it around and put in back in the proper place.

Back