Naval cap

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Thoughts?
20190608_103445.jpg

When I worked on the Ted Turner tv movie Ironclads I had the pleasure of working with several reenactors who had particular interests in the naval history of the war. One of them said embroidery was a particular popular pastime among bored seamen who supposedly decorated caps and other items with embroidered designs. By the time we had finished shooting, he had quite an elaborate floral design worked onto the top of his!

This image shows a bit more of this Confederate Naval uniform. White jumper with blue collar, blue jacketand blus cap. I am not sure if this whole uniform is from one sailer or pieced put together.
20190608_132555.jpg

Stil it is an interesting uniform.

Good photos, but is that uniform supposed to be from the CSS Shenandoah?

Some features seem suspect, namely the name tag on the front of the cap as that really wasn't thing yet for American sailors during the CW period. Plus the CSN had moved over to gray by the time Shenandoah was commissioned, and I'm pretty sure denim wasn't used for jumper capes back then as that one looks to me made of. Plus the construction of the cap and what I can see of the jumper doesn't look quite right, and in fact looks like they were made long after the CW.

Judging from the photos, my first thought is that their not period, and may be some 1960's ensemble to represent what CW sailors wore. But hey what little I can see of the monkey jacket looks right.

I am not sure but believe the cap band had CSS on it. I took a few other photos but the glass reflected the gallery lighting and the photos were not good, I deleted them. Perhaps other visitors got better photos than I.

I did not have an " insider"at the museum and really could not verify the items.

When I worked on the Ted Turner tv movie Ironclads I had the pleasure of working with several reenactors who had particular interests in the naval history of the war. One of them said embroidery was a particular popular pastime among bored seamen who supposedly decorated caps and other items with embroidered designs. By the time we had finished shooting, he had quite an elaborate floral design worked onto the top of his!

One of my favorite movies. I have two copies of it on VHS and I also made a DVD version. I've also met Virginia Madsen and she signed my VHS copy.

https://kf4lmt.com/2017/01/12/the-national-civil-war-naval-museum-in-columbus-ga/amp/

This site also has a picture of the same display and others from the museum as well. I really need to schedule a time to check this place out, it looks amazing. If you zoom in on the placard it describes it as a US Navy Round Cap and Jacket. They are really sweet. I need to start doing some research on Navy Uniforms.

**Edit** the caption under the photo states they are modern recreations but the round cap is authentic.

Last edited:
I am not sure but believe the cap band had CSS on it. I took a few other photos but the glass reflected the gallery lighting and the photos were not good, I deleted them. Perhaps other visitors got better photos than I.

I did not have an " insider"at the museum and really could not verify the items.

If that be the case, its more than likely fake.

There was also a USS Shenandoah.

I forgot about that, but on the other hand I'm pretty sure the USN wasn't making name tags on caps yet.

https://kf4lmt.com/2017/01/12/the-national-civil-war-naval-museum-in-columbus-ga/amp/

This site also has a picture of the same display and others from the museum as well. I really need to schedule a time to check this place out, it looks amazing. If you zoom in on the placard it describes it as a US Navy Round Cap and Jacket. They are really sweet. I need to start doing some research on Navy Uniforms.

**Edit** the caption under the photo states they are modern recreations but the round cap is authentic.

Thank you for clearing this up for us. I was deleting images from my camera and thought I would post the image in post #1 before getting rid of the image.

How common was it for Union sailors to wear the name of their ship on their cap bands?

Thank you for clearing this up for us. I was deleting images from my camera and thought I would post the image in post #1 before getting rid of the image.
No problem, I'm glad you shared it with us. It makes me want to start researching the Navy and naval uniforms during the Civil War.

Back