Monument Monday September 10, 2018

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
John Buford monument at Gettysburg on Chambersburg Rd. - includes the tube of the cannon that fired the battle's first artillery round. Stone Sentinels

buford gettysburg.jpg

The Battle of Cedar Creek, Virginia occurred on October 19th, 1864 (The 8th Vermont Monument). The story of the 8th Vermont is one of the most famous incidents related to battle. Belonging to a brigade of approximately 1,500 men, the regiment sacrificed itself against a Confederate onslaught four times its size during the early morning hours of the battle. Nearly twenty years later, a simple monument was erected to honor the sacrifices of the regiment.

IMG_20180910_102411.jpg

The Battle of Cedar Creek, Virginia occurred on October 19th, 1864 (The 8th Vermont Monument). The story of the 8th Vermont is one of the most famous incidents related to battle. Belonging to a brigade of approximately 1,500 men, the regiment sacrificed itself against a Confederate onslaught four times its size during the early morning hours of the battle. Nearly twenty years later, a simple monument was erected to honor the sacrifices of the regiment.

View attachment 203478
That area around Middletown, Va. and the Cedar Creek battlefield is my favorite place in the Old Dominion. I love the Valley and that is the best part for my money - between Winchester and Tom's Brook.

The Turner Ashby Monument is a memorial placed in 1898 to mark the place at which Confederate Army Colonel Turner Ashby was killed at the Battle of Good's Farm. It is located at the end of Turner Ashby Lane in a small privately maintained park that is open to the public. It consists of a granite shaft, its sides finished roughly except for the inscription panel, with a similarly cut pyramidal top. It is set on a limestone base. This monument overlooks the James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia.

IMG_20180910_103359.jpg

DSC05695.JPG

In keeping with the Gettysburg theme, here's my favorite monument there, the politically-incorrect Virginia State Memorial prominently featuring Robert E. Lee at the top.

DSC05696.JPG

I've always been partial to the heroic statuary group at the base featuring different types of soldiers who fought for Virginia and the Confederacy.

DSC05698.JPG

My friend Doug Garnett (@1863surgeon) also got some shots there, one of which is of the marker explaining the figures:

20180410_123233.jpg

"HANDS OFF":

20180410_123242.jpg

And one of me taking my photos:

20180410_123100 crop.jpg

Last edited:
I love Monument Monday.

Dan
It's inspirational. Thanks @Jimklag for setting it up.

View attachment 203478
13 of 16 commissioned officers lost :frown: Those boys must have led from the front.

DSC05665.JPG

You had as pretty a day as I had back in 2007.
It was chilly and quite windy but warmed nicely while we were touring the battlefield, no doubt because of all the sun. The day before had been cloudy or overcast with very light occasional snow flurries so we spent that time in the visitor center or Seminary Ridge Museum in the Seminary building. This one's not too bad but you can still tell how gray it was overall, compared with the following day:

DSC05689.JPG

Back