Missouri secession

1stTennKy

Cadet
I recall reading that the Missouri legislature passed an ordinance of secession while meeting in the southwest corner of the state (Neosho maybe?) And there was some question about a quorum being present? I would like to hear more about this.

GwilymT

First Sergeant
The government of Missouri initially rejected secession. After certain actions such as Lyons in St. Louis and the occupation of Jefferson Cit, the State Constitutional Convention which vacated the governor’s office, the exiled governor and secessionists set up a rump government in Neosho and the unionists set up a government in Jefferson City. The rump Neosho government past a secession ordinance and sent representatives to the rebel government. However, the newly recognized state government was still in existence in the capital and in regular relation with the Union. At no point did the secessionist government really exercise any governing control in the state.

There’s a lot most to it of course but that’s the gist of it. Calling @archieclement , he knows tons about Missouri. Welcome to CWT.

Theres not alot add.....It happened....they voted to secede.....to this day people argue if there was a legal quorum or not....which as this article also concludes is somewhat irrelevant in the end anyway.

Grant's Tomb

Private
I had no idea that part of Missouri had voted to secede, considering how close to the border of Arkansas that town is in the southwestern corner of the state. That's where George Washington Carver went to school for a time after the war when he was a child and he was no longer a slave