Massachusetts Buckle

Rickhook

Cadet
Hi - I recently acquired this Massachusetts buckle. I believe it to be a Cavalry saber buckle but have not seen one online so far that is exactly the same. I'm looking for any more info on it as well as trying to find out a value on it. I would appreciate any input anyone has or suggestions on where I might go to learn more about it.

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

Package4

1st Lieutenant
Hi - I recently acquired this Massachusetts buckle. I believe it to be a Cavalry saber buckle but have not seen one online so far that is exactly the same. I'm looking for any more info on it as well as trying to find out a value on it. I would appreciate any input anyone has or suggestions on where I might go to learn more about it.

View attachment 409419

View attachment 409420

View attachment 409421
Looks to be a 20th century novelty piece, the crossed muskets would certainly date this well post Civil War, as does the rear attachment. Maybe @bobinwmass can add more.

Package4

1st Lieutenant

View attachment 409419

View attachment 409420

View attachment 409421
Might the initials on the obverse resale to a University in lieu of an individual. The buckle might be for a cadet or university rifle team.

bobinwmass

Corporal
I agree with the above statements, a post Civil War buckle for an infantry unit. Some of these in the late 1800's had specific company letters cast into the face also. A similar buckle was also made for cavalry units, those had crossed sabers instead of rifles in the background.

Rickhook

Cadet
I agree with the above statements, a post Civil War buckle for an infantry unit. Some of these in the late 1800's had specific company letters cast into the face also. A similar buckle was also made for cavalry units, those had crossed sabers instead of rifles in the background.
Thanks

bobinwmass

Corporal
I'm home now with access to the reference books (was at work before). According to "American Military Belt Plates" by Michael J. O'Donnell and J. Duncan Campbell, the belt plate dates circa 1880-1900 and was used by the enlisted infantry on leather belts for garrison or dress duty. Mills woven cartridge belts with H-plates were worn in the field.

Package4

1st Lieutenant
I'm home now with access to the reference books (was at work before). According to "American Military Belt Plates" by Michael J. O'Donnell and J. Duncan Campbell, the belt plate dates circa 1880-1900 and was used by the enlisted infantry on leather belts for garrison or dress duty. Mills woven cartridge belts with H-plates were worn in the field.
What page, I looked and must have missed it…..