1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Mary E. Walker

Discussion in 'Medical Care of the Civil War' started by JohnW., Feb 2, 2017.

1. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant

Thank you for the replies, @James N. I will have to look further into the MOH controversy that surrounded her case.

As an amusing aside: I took the complete opposite approach that Mary did, in the face of adversity: I dressed even more feminine: Tramping around rugged operations in wool skirts....and snake boots :smile:

lelliott19, JohnW. and James N. like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

It should probably be noted here as well that when the MOH was created, qualifications for earning it were very vague to say the least! An entire regiment (27th Maine) was given it for the "heroic" act of agreeing to remain in service for a week or so during the Gettysburg Campaign - and they weren't even IN the battle! As Frederick mentions, members of the guard over Lincoln's body were also given it as a group. So it's not all that unusual that Mary Walker might be given it as a sop to shut her up! This is what the old CWTI article I mentioned indicates happened. But it was only after 1900 when the War Department wanted to make the MOH truly an honor for valor, that naturally all these questionable (to say the least!) awards, including hers, went by the boards.

John Hartwell and JohnW. like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)