Marianna,Florida

I just gave away several coffee makers, wish I could have sent one of them to your Uncle and Aunt. One was a small one that my husband kept in his office. Now work had Kurig and he uses that all the time.
Neither of them are probably supposed to drink coffee anyway because of their health issues. My uncle has one cup in the mornings. My aunt occasionally has one of those store-bought Starbucks iced coffees.

In the Visitors Center,there is a Battle Of Marianna Walking Tour brochure for those interested. Walking it is doable for those without mobility issues. If I had been there by myself,I probably would have done that. We left my truck at the Visitors Center and did half of the walking tour. The first stop on the walking tour is called "Ely Corner" on the brochure and is actually on the grounds of the Visitors Center. The sign is the same on both sides. The angle of the sun made the side I photographed better for pictures. That view is looking northwest. In retrospect,I wish I woulda tried a pic from the other side as that is looking southeast towards the other phases of the battle and stops on the walking tour.

2018-04-13 12.17.09.jpg

Stops 3 and 4 have no historical markers or structures. They are just areas of ground associated with events of the battle. From the brochure:

"3. Site of the Barricade -- An unmanned barricade of wagons was placed across the street here."

"4. The Ambush -- Confederate home guards and volunteers opened fire from hidden positions on both sides of the street at this site,wounding Gen. Asboth and nearly 30 of his men. The Holden House(across the street) stood at the time of the battle."

Lafayette Street is the street running through town and where most of the battle occurred. Looking at the map and brochure,the Holden House and a historical marker are across the street from stop #4 and I did not go over there and take pictures of same. :banghead:

Stop #'s 5 and 6 are on the same corner and are part of each other,but there are 2 historical markers there and I guess that's why it is designated as 2 stops on the Walking Tour map/brochure. From the brochure:

"5. St. Luke's Churchyard -- The Marianna Home Guard and others fell back into this churchyard where they were completely surrounded. Heavy fighting took place here."

2018-04-13 12.33.06.jpg

2018-04-13 12.46.06.jpg

2018-04-13 12.35.04.jpg

Haven't been to this part of Florida. We need to visit. Thanks for all the pictures.

As to the Confederate Flags (Battle Flag), have seen several in Florida, especially on the state and county roads.
The one I posted was on private property.

From the Walking Tour brochure:

"6. St. Luke's Episcopal Church -- The wooden church,similar in appearance to today's structure,was burned by Union troops. Four defenders fought to the death inside as it burned."

The current structure is the 4th one. The second one was burned in the battle.

IMG_20180413_124513607.jpg

2018-04-13 12.55.34.jpg

Florida is a beautiful state. There are little cemeteries that contain union graves. I re-enenacted as a union unit that had fellows buried in Florida. We went around finding them and found some that had been lost.
I could be a walking billboard for the state. I was born there and love it and have to recommend it!

We came through Marianna about 10 days ago coming home from Panama City. We don’t usually go that way. But you have given me reason to go that way again.
I will check out the place next trip.
Go to the Visitors Center first. There is more to see in Marianna than we had time for. I coulda spent all day there.

If I had known more about St. Luke's Episcopal Cemetery before then we'd have probably spent a little more time there,but 2 days before that I knew nothing about Marianna,Florida or that I would be going there. There were only 4 Confederate military gravestones there,and that is what I was looking for,but there are a lot more Confederate veterans than that buried there.

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/1969331/saint-lukes-episcopal-cemetery

2018-04-13 12.36.42.jpg

To the best of my recollection,I hadn't seen a Confederate gravestone with engravings on both sides before this one. According to his memorial at FindAGrave memorial,he eventually ended up at Elmira and returned to Marianna after the war.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/43045251/allen-henry-bush

2018-04-13 12.39.30.jpg

2018-04-13 12.40.01.jpg

These 2 gravestones caught my eye for several reasons. Both were soldiers in the 6th Florida Infantry Regiment and one was killed in the Battle of Marianna. They were not local militia. Lt. Phillips' gravestone has "F&S' on it. I had not seen that before and had to look it up. F&S Company (Field and Staff) was what is referred to nowadays as Headquarters Company. Not sure whether that Company was at the Battle Of Marianna or if he was just buried there when he passed away in 1901. As stated in the signature on my posts,I have an ancestor from the 6th Florida Infantry but he was in Company I and was captured in Dallas,GA in May 1864 and ended up at Rock Island. I haven't done much research on the 6th Florida,post-May 1864. I do know they were at the Battle Of Franklin but they were way out on the Confederate left. The Confederate force at the Battle Of Marianna was not large enough to lead me to believe that the entire 6th Florid Infantry Regiment was there. These 2 gravestones and some other things I saw at Marianna that day sparked a desire to do more research on the Battle Of Marianna and the 6th Florida Infantry Regiment. I'll get to that later in this thread.

2018-04-13 12.41.26.jpg

2018-04-13 12.43.10.jpg

At this point,the other members of my party found a nice bench in the shade in the cemetery to rest at and I walked back to the Visitors Center to get my truck. Picked them up and drove one block to Stop 7 on the Walking Tour. From the Walking Tour brochure/map:

"7. Battle of Marianna Monument -- The cavalry continued to fight along the street through downtown Marianna. This monument was erected in 1921."

The front of the monument faces the tree in the center of the picture. As you can see,tree branches are beginning to envelop the upper part of the monument.

2018-04-13 13.05.12.jpg

We saddled up in my truck and drove to Stop #8. From the Walking Tour brochure/map:

"8. Courthouse Square -- Hand to hand fighting took place around this square as the Confederate cavalry tried to break through a Union flanking force that had come in behind them. Col. Montgomery was captured nearby."

2 Historical Markers on the courthouse grounds:

2018-04-13 13.12.34.jpg

2018-04-13 13.14.46.jpg

2018-04-13 13.14.52.jpg

Back