Lunar Extract and Yellow Ginger Bread.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
See the issued rations for the Kalamazoo Michigan Home Guard in 4th.

axes.jpg

1. So were the Home Guards trying to cut down on eating fat (one slice of skim milk cheese)? They must have wanted to avoid red meat as well (the red herrings). Health nuts during the Civil War?
2. How much is one fourth card of yellow ginger bread and what is yellow ginger bread?
3. I am glad the Home Guard received a spirit ration of "Lunar Extract" but am uncertain exactly what "Lunar Extraction" is, but it appears they got some for lunch and supper.

No red meat, no white bread, skim milk cheese send like health foods to me. I am not sure where to even purchase Lunar Extract but a hippy health food store would be my first guess.

I have never heard of Lunar Extract. As it was issued as spirit ration I am assuming it is some kind of liquor. The local Home Guard must have understood what they would get.

am uncertain exactly what "Lunar Extraction" is, but it appears they got some for lunch and supper.

I'm guessing Whiskey, and that "Lunar Extraction" evolved into the slang term "moonshine." I have not the least evidence in favor of this theory, but I will defend it to the death (or until better evidence surfaces) anyhow. :biggrin:

Back