Looking for Ancestor Photo

Virginia Dave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Any suggestions on where I might find a photo. I have tried ancestry.com with no luck. He was my GG Uncle. I have photos of his headstone and that is all I could find.
Legrand Shockley headstone 2.jpg

Capt. Colonel Legrand Shockley
Birth: Nov 6 1819 - Grayson Co, VA
Death:Oct 2 1864 - Saltville, Smyth Co., VA killed during battle.

I wish I had some useful advice, because I went on a similar quest and got nowhere. Might try the Sons of Confederate Veterans chapter in the area where Capt. Shockley served, or at the local historical society.

Good luck with your search. It can take a long time and a lot of perseverance. I have 45 veterans and have found pictures of 9 of them in the last 40+ years. Of those only 3 are CW era. As @Bruce Vail said the Historical Societies are good. I found a couple there, a couple on Ancestry and the rest by making connections on various family search sites over the years. Again Good Luck.

Any suggestions on where I might find a photo. I have tried ancestry.com with no luck. He was my GG Uncle. I have photos of his headstone and that is all I could find.View attachment 216467

Capt. Colonel Legrand Shockley
Birth: Nov 6 1819 - Grayson Co, VA
Death:Oct 2 1864 - Saltville, Smyth Co., VA killed during battle.
National Archives service records show Legrand (Colonel), Michael, Richard, and Westley (last 3 no ranks, so probably privates) as members of the Carroll County Virginia Militia, but with no other information.

Also, go to http://dlxs.richmond.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ddr&cc=ddr&type=simple&rgn=full+text&q1=shockley for 1862 entries for Shockley and the regiment he was in.

Last edited:
I can't offer any advice, either, but I'll tell you this much for sure: You have a photo of his very handsome monument stone, and that is more than many descendants have of their CW ancestors. This next part is only a suggestion: If you are close enough or if you can hire a monument company to do the task, it would be very nice to clean all the grime and growth off of that nice monument stone. No judgement in my comment...only a suggestion.

Chances are remote of finding an image of him unless one exists with a family member. You may get lucky and find one since the possibility of him sitting for a photo was greater with him being the rank of colonel. Look more into the history of his artillery battery that must have been part of Jackson's corps up till the battle of Chancellorsville. Best of luck!!!!!!

I can't offer any advice, either, but I'll tell you this much for sure: You have a photo of his very handsome monument stone, and that is more than many descendants have of their CW ancestors. This next part is only a suggestion: If you are close enough or if you can hire a monument company to do the task, it would be very nice to clean all the grime and growth off of that nice monument stone. No judgement in my comment...only a suggestion.

Just curious -- do you need to hire a monument company for something like this? or is it possible to DIY?

What should you expect to spend?

National Archives service records show Legrand (Colonel), Michael, Richard, and Westley (last 3 no ranks, so probably privates) as members of the Carroll County Virginia Militia, but with no other information.

Also, go to http://dlxs.richmond.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ddr&cc=ddr&type=simple&rgn=full+text&q1=shockley for 1862 entries for Shockley and the regiment he was in.

I don't understand. Does that mean that Col. Shockley was NOT enrolled in CSA military service, but in Virginia state service only?

Just curious -- do you need to hire a monument company for something like this? or is it possible to DIY?

What should you expect to spend?
I am sure it can be done by an amateur, but I'm also sure that stones have been harmed by people who have used the wrong cleaning materials. Read up on it thoroughly on-line. It would be prudent to experiment on a part of the stone with no inscription at first. I had three stones cleaned of lichens a couple of years ago. A monument company did the work for me. I expect the cost will vary depending on the condition of the stone and the company doing the work. I imagine any company would give you a cost estimate in advance. In my case, the cost was very reasonable.

Reading through the first of the 4 links attached above, this guy was in the 24th VA as of May 1862 and was wounded during the Peninsula campaign around Williamsburg and was a LT. in rank at that time. He must have joined this light artillery battery B as noted in October 1862. So, he could possibly have been at Fredericksburg Dec. 1862. The marker you show pictured, have you looked at it in person?? How worn is it? What does it say exactly? Your ancestor was 45 years of age in 1864 when he was "killed during battle."

Last edited:
Reading through the first of the 4 links attached above, this guy was in the 24th VA as of May 1862 and was wounded during the Peninsula campaign around Williamsburg and was a LT. in rank at that time. He must have joined this light artillery battery B as noted in October 1862. So, he could possibly have been at Fredericksburg Dec. 1862. The marker you show pictured, have you looked at it in person?? How worn is it? What does it say exactly? Your ancestor was 45 years of age in 1864 when he was "killed during battle."
I have plans to visit and take care of cleaning. Hopefully I will post another photo with more detail. It may be spring before I can get there. The photo I have was provided to me by another family member, and this was all they had.

Back