Locating military documents

Oops!! You re-copied my post---instead of quoting it. Just highlight it and select "Reply". No need to copy and paste.

I went back to that soldier's service records to look for an age. Then I started reading more of his files.
He was captured at Fort Donelson in 1862.
Then he was reported as deserted on 20 June 1864. However, there is another entry that says he was wounded at Brices Crossroads (Tishomingo Creek) on June 10 - 11. See below.
There is a copy of a hand-written letter dated September 1863 reporting he lost 33 head of cattle worth $11,550.

Then there is one odd one, below, that seems to say he requested to be in a "secret service".

View attachment 318954

View attachment 318957
Wow, it is amazing how much information is available. I really appreciate you researching all of this. Sorry about responding the wrong way. I am just getting familiar with this type of site.

Sorry about responding the wrong way.
That is part of Training. You learn it by doing it.

BTW, the 8th Kentucky Mounted Infantry was under the command of Lt-Col. A. R. Shackett at the Battle of Brices Crossroads. They were in Forrest's 3rd Brigade commanded by Col. Hylan B. Lyon.
Lyon's brigade was in the center of the battle, between Baldwyn Road and the Ripley-Guntown Road.

@Jallenbiggs
Normally, you could find out where a soldier lived in the 1860 Census and then look at military records to see if he enlisted in a unit in that area. This Adam Biggs is complicated. I'm going by Ancestry records that others have created. He was born in North Carolina and his family and siblings lived in Kentucky, Tennessee and later Oklahoma.

This soldier in the 8th Kentucky Mounted Infantry enlisted in Breckenridge, Tennessee , just North of Nashville. Another card in his file refers to it as Camp Breckenridge---which I assume is the same. Some of the Kentuckians did go down into Tennessee to enlist; which I think was true in early 1861 and later in mid-War when it was occupied by Union.
Biggs__8Kty__Pg05.JPG

So I can't find a connection of this Kentucky soldier with your Captain Adam Biggs except for your one statement that he served with General Forrest.

Fold3 also has a Confederate casualty list for Brices Crossroads. It lists Sgt. A. Biggs with 8th Ky Cavalry wounded in the leg.
I wanted to check this just in case it might list him as an Officer; but it didn't.
Biggs__BricesCrRoad.jpg

Total for 3rd Brigade
KIA= 30
WIA-Dangerously= 6
WIA-Severly= 47
WIA-Slightly= 82
Total 165

@Jallenbiggs
Normally, you could find out where a soldier lived in the 1860 Census and then look at military records to see if he enlisted in a unit in that area. This Adam Biggs is complicated. I'm going by Ancestry records that others have created. He was born in North Carolina and his family and siblings lived in Kentucky, Tennessee and later Oklahoma.

This soldier in the 8th Kentucky Mounted Infantry enlisted in Breckenridge, Tennessee , just North of Nashville. Another card in his file refers to it as Camp Breckenridge---which I assume is the same. Some of the Kentuckians did go down into Tennessee to enlist; which I think was true in early 1861 and later in mid-War when it was occupied by Union.
View attachment 318984

So I can't find a connection of this Kentucky soldier with your Captain Adam Biggs except for your one statement that he served with General Forrest.

Fold3 also has a Confederate casualty list for Brices Crossroads. It lists Sgt. A. Biggs with 8th Ky Cavalry wounded in the leg.
I wanted to check this just in case it might list him as an Officer; but it didn't.
View attachment 318986
Total for 3rd Brigade
KIA= 30
WIA-Dangerously= 6
WIA-Severly= 47
WIA-Slightly= 82
Total 165
I am finding him difficult as well. Not only in the military records but also from my heritage.com. Members of my family have mentioned him and I have found his connection with my relatives but a lot of details are sketchy at best.

Back