Lincoln Lincoln's Train At Hanover Junction?

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
OK, this is making me little crazy. Found this article a few months ago. Posted a thread without being terribly certain what the blazes I was seeing. Now? These fairly well known ' Hanover Junction ' photos from November, 1863 match the article.

It keeps being described as ' Crowds awaiting transfer ', people just waiting to GO to Gettysburg for the National Cemetery Inauguration. But seriously not so fast? " The train will connect with the President's Company at Hanover Junction."

Lincoln purportedly worked on his speech during his trip from Washington to Gettysburg that day, cool to think about.

" THE SPECIAL EXCURSION TRAIN OF THE GOVENOR'S LEFT AT HALF PAST ONE FOR GETTYSBURG "

h 1863 newspaper2.JPG

h 1863 newspaper1.JPG

If these photos are only ' crowd waiting for transfer ' as they are frequently described why is there a 2 car train visible?

Why does this train only have 2 cars? I'm not claiming it was Lincoln's train- possibly the train described above. Maybe the term ' Waiting for Lincoln ' is more apt?

This photo, is anyone here? " Gov. Curtin, Gov. Seymour, Gov. Piermont, Gov. Brough, Gen. and Col. Vanderpool Gov. Anderson Dennison and Boremen, Gen. Doubleday, Stoneman and Stahl, Sec. Cameron- " article states were on the special train, staff we would not recognize. Is anyone good enough with era faces?
h 1863 hanover2b full.jpg

h 1863 hanover2half1.jpg
h 1863 hanover2ahalf 2.jpg

h 1863 HanoverJunction2BWb.jpg

There is only one train in this photo, or one passenger train.

In this photo there are two trains- or two which have cars- are those cars for horses? Still, looks to be the same track, no? It isn't the same small caravan of freight cars we see to the right in photo 4.
hanover junction 2 trains.jpg

Few more photos from this- never gave them much thought until coming across this article.
If this train was just the run of the mill passenger train, why does it only have two cars?

hanover junction 2 trains.jpg

A few photos of the ' crowd '. Seems to be scattered over to the hotel. One lone figure sits on the balcony in a shot. I'm making no claims on anything. The article has been bugging me for weeks, that's all.

The women on the balcony seem to be in 2 groups- delighted residents and travelers.

h 1863 hanover 1.jpg

h 1863 hanover 3man chair.jpg
h 1863 hanover 3mana.jpg
h 1863 HanoverJunction2BW.jpg
h 1863 HanoverJunctioncloser.jpg

OK so it shouldn't bug me as much as it does- stopped what I was doing in the middle of the afternoon to come talk myself out of it. How funny is that?

The two car passenger train is either a local passenger train or a special passenger train ordered by the railroad at someone's behest. It's also possible that the train is between switching moves, so you don't see the other cars.

Alan

Scheduled passenger trains always had a baggage car between the tender and the first passenger car. A baggage car would not be needed for an excursion or special train.

There are a couple of other blog posts about these images, here and here.

The station at Hanover Junction still stands, and has been the center of a good bit of live steam events during the Sesqui:

Thank you Andy, Beautiful machine, but some of the scenes there would make Britain's Health & Safety nazis s----t their pants !

OK, this is making me little crazy. Found this article a few months ago. Posted a thread without being terribly certain what the blazes I was seeing. Now? These fairly well known ' Hanover Junction ' photos from November, 1863 match the article.

It keeps being described as ' Crowds awaiting transfer ', people just waiting to GO to Gettysburg for the National Cemetery Inauguration. But seriously not so fast? " The train will connect with the President's Company at Hanover Junction."

Lincoln purportedly worked on his speech during his trip from Washington to Gettysburg that day, cool to think about.

" THE SPECIAL EXCURSION TRAIN OF THE GOVENOR'S LEFT AT HALF PAST ONE FOR GETTYSBURG "

View attachment 80075

View attachment 80074

If these photos are only ' crowd waiting for transfer ' as they are frequently described why is there a 2 car train visible?

Why does this train only have 2 cars? I'm not claiming it was Lincoln's train- possibly the train described above. Maybe the term ' Waiting for Lincoln ' is more apt?

This photo, is anyone here? " Gov. Curtin, Gov. Seymour, Gov. Piermont, Gov. Brough, Gen. and Col. Vanderpool Gov. Anderson Dennison and Boremen, Gen. Doubleday, Stoneman and Stahl, Sec. Cameron- " article states were on the special train, staff we would not recognize. Is anyone good enough with era faces?
View attachment 80071
View attachment 80072 View attachment 80070

View attachment 80073

There is only one train in this photo, or one passenger train.

In this photo there are two trains- or two which have cars- are those cars for horses? Still, looks to be the same track, no? It isn't the same small caravan of freight cars we see to the right in photo 4.
View attachment 80076

Few more photos from this- never gave them much thought until coming across this article.
If this train was just the run of the mill passenger train, why does it only have two cars?

View attachment 80078

A few photos of the ' crowd '. Seems to be scattered over to the hotel. One lone figure sits on the balcony in a shot. I'm making no claims on anything. The article has been bugging me for weeks, that's all.

The women on the balcony seem to be in 2 groups- delighted residents and travelers.

View attachment 80079
View attachment 80080 View attachment 80081 View attachment 80082 View attachment 80083

OK so it shouldn't bug me as much as it does- stopped what I was doing in the middle of the afternoon to come talk myself out of it. How funny is that?

Just my opinion, the man standing directly under the sign, with the tall military hat, resembles George Stoneman

P133.gif

Back