Lee was wrong! Jeb Stuart was right!

ebg12

Corporal
I travel to work every morning on Interstate 70 between Hagerstown Maryland and Frederick Maryland.

Now, the topography of Hagerstown Valley looks like a "soup bowl" because the western portion
of the valley is a ring of hills following the contour of the Potomac River from south to north.

Except at Harpers Ferry WV, Shepherdstown WV, and Falling Waters WV there is no where to cross
the Potomac River between Maryland and West Virginia.

Forget Gettysburg...if Jeb Stuart had rode into that valley,
the Union Army would have annihilated the Confederate's Eastern Theater Cavalry!

That's why Lee's order to Jeb Stuart was vague (not clear or definite in thought) as to how the
cavalry was to proceed because Lee was himself unsure how the calvalry could travel through the
Hagerstown Valley.

Jeb Stuart was right! He avoided the Hagerstown Valley! He instead headed towards Rockville Maryland,
rode east around the Union Army, and reached Gettysburg...a plan of mobility.

this section added as per comment by Infomanpa...thks for the input

Why did Lee then seek Jeb Stuart on the first and second day of the Gettysburg Battle? Was he not expecting Jeb Stuart's Cavalry to be coming quickly through the Hagerstown Valley? Why did Lee reprimand Jeb Stuart when he arrived at Gettysburg? Why did Lee's subordinate officers wanted Jeb Stuart court martialed for disobeying orders?

Last edited:
I don't see in your post how you came to the conclusion that Lee was wrong about anything. Your stated yourself that Lee's order was not definite because he was unsure.

I don't see in your post how you came to the conclusion that Lee was wrong about anything. Your stated yourself that Lee's order was not definite because he was unsure.

Why did Lee then seek Jeb Stuart on the first and second day of the Gettysburg Battle? Was he not expecting Jeb Stuart's Cavalry to be coming quickly through the Hagerstown Valley? Why did Lee reprimand Jeb Stuart when he arrived at Gettysburg? Why did Lee's subordinate officers wanted Jeb Stuart court martialed for disobeying orders? I'll add this to my post as per your observation. thanks

Last edited:
Back