Lead seal ID?

Wraith_3

Private
Joined
Mar 24, 2021
Hi these are from my dad's collection and I have no knowledge in this area of CW items, whatsoever. I tried Googling, but didn't get very far. I did see another seal with "SAL" and they said it was a railroad seal, so I don't know if this "PAL" is also railroad or what. The seal on the lower right is two round shapes attached with a lead strip and folded onto itself. I have someone interested in these, but I don't know what type they are to look up the value. So any help IDing these would be a big help.

DSC05456.JPG

DSC05458.JPG
 
@Tom Hughes . I recall pics you posted of a seal(s) you found at Vicksburg I think.
 
Hi these are from my dad's collection and I have no knowledge in this area of CW items, whatsoever. I tried Googling, but didn't get very far. I did see another seal with "SAL" and they said it was a railroad seal, so I don't know if this "PAL" is also railroad or what. The seal on the lower right is two round shapes attached with a lead strip and folded onto itself. I have someone interested in these, but I don't know what type they are to look up the value. So any help IDing these would be a big help.

View attachment 466704
View attachment 466705
These lead seals were common and used on a variety of things from railroad car locks, mail parcels, food boxes, ammunition boxes, and even cotton bales. As interesting as they are, there is still a mystery with many of them as to what they were specifically used for and who manufactured them, etc.....Great pieces of history!
 
@Tom Hughes . I recall pics you posted of a seal(s) you found at Vicksburg I think.
Yes, I've found many. Most of the ones I've found were railroad boxcar seals. I know this because of the railroad line stamped on the surface of the seal. I've got one that sealed a box of meat and one that sealed a large mailed parcel. Two of my more interesting ones were used to seal ammunition crates during the civil war.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top